Cable Ampacity Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm fairly new to NEC and I would like to clarify one thing regarding cable ampacity calculations. I'm referring to NFPA 70 (NEC) 2017.

So, we have tables 310.15(B)(16), (18), and (20) for the ampacities of not more than 3 current carrying conductors. For these tables, it is clearly stated that Table 310.15(B)(3)(a) is to be used if we have more than 3 conductors (to allow for grouping effect)

We also have tables 310.15(B)(17) and (19) for single insulated conductors. For these tables, however, there no mention of the grouping factors to be considered if more than one conductor is used.

My questions are;
(1) If tables (16), (18), and (20) are for not more than 3 current carrying conductors, can't we used these tables in case of single conductors?
(2) If tables (17) and (19) are to be used, how to get the grouping factors for more than one conductor?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
310.15(B)(16) must use Table 310.15(B)(3)(a) because it is based on current carrying conductor's in a raceway. The tables for free air do not need to be derated based on 310.15(B)(3)(a) however you may have to derate based on 310.15(B))(2)(a or b)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Hi Smart,
Tables 310.15(B)(2) (a) and (b) are for temperature derating.
I personally prefer to use the formula 310.15(B)(2)
Regards
Ummm... he did not say "Tables", at least at the end of the sentence. That threw me off as there is no text 310.15(B)(2)(a) or (b).

Status
Not open for further replies.