California certification renewal (2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
A lot of California Journeyman's Licenses are set to expire this year (including mine). This will be the first batch of renewals since the program was started. What is everyone doing for their mandatory 32 hours of continuing ed? Is online training acceptable? Anything available from this site?

Karl H

I was about to post this exact thread. I passed my exam

on May 30,2003 the law did'nt go into effect until 2006.

So my card was extended to 2009.I'd rather just retest

instead of CEU. The Lord knows I do enough CEU's

anyway.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Apparently, any continuing education provider is acceptable as long as it is related to the type work you're licensed for.

I wonder... what online courses might be available that are equivalent to 32 hours?

Info from another website:

Q: Must the continuing education provider be approved by DAS or
the Electrician Certification Curriculum Committee.

A: “No. Neither the Division of Apprenticeship Standards (DAS) nor the Electrician
Certification Curriculum Committee (ECCC) reviews or approves continuing
education for electrician certification renewal purposes. Nor does DAS post a list
of continuing education providers on its website.

The list of education providers on the website is of those approved by the
Electrician Certification Curriculum Committee to provide curriculum for electrician
trainees, not continuing education for certified electricians”.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician

donscomp

Ecc

Ecc

If nothing better manifests itself, for $272, this may be the route I'll be taking.

http://www.castatetest.com/continuededucation/login.php

Check out the demo:

http://www.castatetest.com/continuededucation/eccdemo/eccdemo.html

Has anyone used and RENEWED through castatetest?
We just put two guys into it but am afraid it will not be accepted as CE. Although they say that they are compliant with the DAS. I mean it says "State Approved: ECC is recognized by the Department of Apprenticeship Standards (DAS) as a provider of State approved Continuing Education. State approval is via the Bureau of Private Post Secondary Education (BPPVE)"

But would sure hate the guys to spend all the time and hours on it and it be denied.
If you have renewed through them. On the renewal app it ask for the name of school and City. What did you put.
Thanks all.
Don

BAHTAH

Calif CEU's

Calif CEU's

My card expires in Feb and I got a late start on the CEU's. I went on-line to WECA they have lots of on-line courses but they run $25.00 each and you have to purchase (5) at a time. I did 10 CEU's and then found one of their courses for math that was good for twenty CEU's at a cost just over $100.00. I just purchased another (5) so I could get my 32 CEU's done by the end of Jan. Most of the $25.00 courses take about an hour to complete, the math took me 100 hours, but its been many years since I took any math courses so alot of my time was reviewing and getting up to speed. Good Luck to everyone up for renewal. I am still waiting for the Bonding Companies to require employers to furnish the card numbers for their electricians.

e57

This law has been a bain on the industry due to the mismanagement of the corupt state agency put in charge of it - CLOWNS!!!!! JMSO......

The only enforcement of this law has been a tool of competition elimination on PW projects - otherwise it has been holding us all to an unenforcable standard that they could not even manage if they tried.

That said - I too am still on the fence about what I am going to do about it.... I don't want to give the %^*% DAS anymore of my money to promote the protectionist agenda they have taken on with this law. But I also do not want to get caught with my pants down after 06-28-09. (when the 3 year card I got in 03 expires) Or pay them more money than I have to.

In the past I spent a lot of time following this law - but have since decided not to as it angered me SOOOOO much. But it now looks like I had better start paying more attention to it. (Although I am happier not beating my head against the wall)

Please correct me if I am wrong - but does this application imply that if your card expires and you choose to retest - that you "ALSO" have to do the CEU's as well? "If not, you do not qualify to renew"

http://www.dir.ca.gov/das/ecu/electricalcertificationformrenewal.pdf

The way this application is worded - it would appear that those that are taking the action of skipping the CUE's and re-testing should not be reinstated as being certified. (?)

And I think the website confirms that:
IMPORTANT: You are REQUIRED to have:
  • 1) Renewal fee of $100.00;
  • 2) 32 hours of continuing education and;
  • 3) 2,000 hours in the industry in the previous 3 years. If your certification expired before you can renew, you must pay an additional fee of $100.00 and have to retake the certification exam (i.e., Renewal fee = $100, but if your certification is also expired, you need to retake exam at an additional cost of $100. Total fee = $200.00
http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECU/ECP_forms.htm

Karl H

I agree with E57's frustration here. I'm calling DAS tommorrow to clear this
up. Has anyone in Califorina had the AHJ enforce this law, such as simply
asking to see your card? I haven't in six years. In Texas I've had inspectors
ask to see my card before the inspection. I've seen guys kicked off jobs
by the inspector for not having cards. I was once kicked off a job
in Deer Park TX for not having a apprentice card once by the AHJ.
If your going to pass a law, at least enforce it. Good intention without
enforcement is worthless. I will post what I find out tommorrow.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Do I want to consider getting a California license? Vegas maybe busy now, but don't see good times rolling past this summer. I see their pay scale is decent, but does a person get keep any of it (taxes, fees, bs), or is it gone before you see it?

Just keeping an oar in the water :)

Karl H

Do I want to consider getting a California license? Vegas maybe busy now, but don't see good times rolling past this summer. I see their pay scale is decent, but does a person get keep any of it (taxes, fees, bs), or is it gone before you see it?

Just keeping an oar in the water :)

You could get a California License but, the only one that will know you
have one is you, and the one cashing the check.

Status
Not open for further replies.