Campground Wiring project planning & setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NBlack

I'm preparing to install electric on our campground and have multiple questions related to this project.
Last night I purchased the horned bypass and main panel all in one enclosure, which was recommended by the Electrical company that is going to connect the service. I also purchased a weather head/service entry, 1 1/4 scheduled 40 conduit for the pole and a subpanel. The reason for the subpanel is because there are only 4 breaker slots in the main panel. The subpanel provided an additional 4 slots.
My plan is to have 2 x 50AMP breaker & receptecals, 2 x 30 AMP breaker & receptecals, and 2 20AMP breaker and receptecals (200 AMP service). The camper we have will need the 50 AMP breaker/receptacal. The 2nd 50 AMP is for an additional camper should my family come down. I know that the camper will likely never draw all 50 AMPs, but that is the spec. required by the camper manufacturer. Some additional background is that there is already a grounded rod next to the pole where the main panel and subpanel will be attached. Years ago there must have been electric on this campsite, but it was a long time ago. I have researched enough to know that I will need 6 gauge wire for the 50 AMP breaker/receptecals and plan to run 1" conduit 24" -36" underground. I also know that you don't use romex wire in conduit due to possible melting and loss of amperage. I haven't decided if I should use flex conduit or the 10ft straight conduit which might require more effort due to pulling the wires through the "T's" and "Elbows".
Here is a list of my concerns and questions.
-Do I need different gauge wires for the 50AMP, 30AMP, and 20AMP breakers/receptecals, or can I use 6 gauge for all the breakers & receptecals? The 20AMP outlets will eventaully have additional outlets daisy-chained from them additional recepetcals and a ceiling fan. The 30AMP outlets will be for additional pop-up campers.
-Can I pigtail a 50AMP receptecal to a standard outdoor receptecal? If so what gauge wire should I use to pigtail...can it be the 6 gauge that was ran to the 50AMP receptecal?
-Does a subpanel on the same pole as the main panel need to be attached to a grounding rod? If so can it be attached to the same grounding rod?
-The main panel and the subpanel I have only have one bar on the right side of the panel for the ground and neutral wires. I'm planning to put the ground wires on top and the neturals on bottom, is this correct?
-Does the ground wire that connects to the grounding rod just come off the main panel like any other ground wire and attach to the ground rod/ground clamp?
-Can I leave the ground rod exposed out of the box to the ground rod?
-Can I run bare ground wire for each receptecal through the conduit, or should it be green?
-I know there is a max number of wire you can run through each conduit size, but when you are running different gauge wire do those amounts change? I.E. 6 gauge hot, neutral, ground, plus an 8 gauge hot, neutral, ground, and a 10 gauge hot, nuetral, and ground all in a 1" conduit. I imagine that would fit without issue, but just wanted to be sure...Essentially it's 9 wires but different diameters.

Any assistance and suggestions would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.