can I add a ground to exterior spa panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike65401

I'm placing a 240v 50amp spa on my patio. It will be a 90' run between my home main panel and the spa shutoff panel that contains the GFI. The spa will be an additional 30' from the spa shutoff panel. I am using #6 wire. My question is do I have to run #6 wire for the ground between the two panels, and or can I not run a ground wire at all between the two panels if I ground the spa shutoff panel. I planned on driving a 10' grounding rod about 6' away from the spa shutoff panel and using #6 wire to connect it to the grounding strip in the spa shutoff panel. I will run a ground wire along with the two hots and neutral to the spa. (Again, does the ground wire need to be the same gauge as the hots and neutral?)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.