can the neutral bar be tapped to install a bond screw???

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
It does not sound like it is listed 'service equipment' and if you have to bond the neutral it likely needs to be service equipment.

Beyond that any modifications would have to be acceptable to the AHJ, it would be up to them to determine if the modifications are effecting the listing.

I would not modify a current carrying part like a neutral bar

the can must be bonded as it is first means... so in order to bond it I was going to tap through the bar with a bonding screw I have in the truck that will fit. FYI... the closest supply house is like an hour away. I really don't wanna come back here unless it's beyond necessary. I would be tapping the neutral the same as a factory tap. only difference is I'd be doing it and not the factory. BTW... this is a temp pole

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Are you talking about drilling a hole through the neutral bar, thne drilling a smaller hole into the enclosure, and finally tapping threads for a 'bonding screw" into the enclosure? Or, do you want to drill and tap threads into the neutral bar?

If this enclosure is actually listed as being 'suitable for use a service entrance equipment', there would be a manufacturer supplied method for bonding the neutral to the enclosure.

drilling it and tapping it. the bonding bar is not in the box so I was kinda planning to drill through the bar and then tap the Can, install a long green bond screw so that my can would be bonded

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
exactly. that was what I was planning unless I can find some reason I cannot get away with it

How many threads can you tap into the box steel?

Is this a utility service entrance application or is this for equipment supplied by a separately derived source?

well its a temporary pole. it has a GFCI receptacle and nothing more. figure if I tap the back of the box I can get maybe 4? I've tapped boxes before to add ground bars so it should set in nice and tight

Last edited:
well its a temporary pole. it has a GFCI receptacle and nothing more. figure if I tap the back of the box I can get maybe 4? I've tapped boxes before to add ground bars so it should set in nice and tight

we are talking utility here .. like I said it is a temporary service pole and the panel did not have a bonding jumper.. if I left now to go get one I'd be at least 3 hours before I returned and another 6 to get home. lol... see why I'm in a pickle??? never had a situation like this before

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am not real sure what it is you are trying to do but it does not sound like an unreasonable solution as long as you are not drilling or tapping the neutral bar.

there is nothing that says the bonding has to be a screw. It can be a wire.

cpinetree

I am not real sure what it is you are trying to do but it does not sound like an unreasonable solution as long as you are not drilling or tapping the neutral bar.

To expand on the above: You could install a small ground bar and run a wire between it and the neutral bar (correctly sized of course).

kwired

Electron manager

Same here.

NEC tells us what size of wire to use, but does not tell us what requirements are for a screw. That is done by manufacturer and listing and testing. Typically when that is done the hole in the enclosure is not just drilled into the thin wall of the enclosure, it is an extruded hole with thicker metal at the location so that more screw threads are engaged in the enclosure.

Why not bolt a lug somewhere on the enclosure (removal of paint at contact surfaces likely necessary) and install properly sized (or larger) bonding jumper?

Status
Not open for further replies.