Can Two Small Appliance Branch Circuits Be on the Same Yoke?

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer & Master Electrician
I'm planning a Mother-in-Law suite for a build. This MiL Suite will have a small kitchenette that includes a sink, microwave, and toaster. But no big appliances. I'm concerned that the AHJ may consider this a kitchen and require two small appliance branch circuits consistent with 210.11(C)(1). So I've been thinking of splitting the yoke on the countertop duplex receptacle and putting a separate branch on each receptacle.

I don't see anything in the code that slaps my wrist for this, but it feels iffy.

Thoughts?

Paul

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You'll have a problem as kitchens require both AFCI and GFCI. I don't think they make a DF 2-pole. I may be wrong but I haven't seen one. Being on the same yoke requires a 2-pole breaker or singles with a handle tie. Also, you can't split a GFCI, or AFCI receptacle

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dang, I hate to go down this road as it's been beat to death. But I wouldn't consider this a kitchen with a microwave and toaster.
IMO it doesn't meet the definition.
I concur. The sink and counter top do not qualify it.

Use a counter-top microwave, not an attached one.

CoolWill

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is this in an existing building, or are you constructing it from the ground up? I ask because if it's an existing shed or garage, I wouldn't involve the AHJ to begin with.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You'll have a problem as kitchens require both AFCI and GFCI. I don't think they make a DF 2-pole. I may be wrong but I haven't seen one. Being on the same yoke requires a 2-pole breaker or singles with a handle tie. Also, you can't split a GFCI, or AFCI receptacle
Not and issue if running 12/2/2 or 2-12/2 cables. Use two single pole DF breakers with the handle tie.
We wire all of our disposal/dishwasher receptacles this way but use 14/2/2.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
_If_ you meet the spacing requirements with a single receptacle location (48" counter??) and _if_ two SABCs are still going to be required for such a small space, I'd _suggest_ installing a double gang box and two separate yokes. You get a bigger that is easier to work in, but are still running wire to a single location, saving labor.

You save very on materials or labor going with a single gang box and splitting the yoke, and are creating a situation where the end user will put in receptacle splitters.

-Jonathan

cadpoint

I'm going to go against the tide.

Most modern travel motels all run a single circuit in Kitchenette's and even AFCI around the bed.

A lot of larger Civil authorities have mapped the foot prints of structures on property so to not involve them,
that'd be a stretch.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
A single split wired duplex receptacle is a waste in a kitchen if that is all there is. You'd need a 20A T slot receptacle, but I've never seen any kitchen appliance with a 20A plug so you'd never be able to utilize 20A from either receptacle. You'd want at least two receptacles on each circuit. Winnie's idea of two duplexes in a quad box is a good one, or heck even two single gangs 15" - 30" apart if that is all the counter you have.

Many DIYs also screw up replacing split wired receptacles, or ones split to allow half to switch, by not knowing to remove the connecting tab between each receptacle. Best to avoid those unless you have no choice.

kwired

Electron manager
A single split wired duplex receptacle is a waste in a kitchen if that is all there is. You'd need a 20A T slot receptacle, but I've never seen any kitchen appliance with a 20A plug so you'd never be able to utilize 20A from either receptacle. You'd want at least two receptacles on each circuit. Winnie's idea of two duplexes in a quad box is a good one, or heck even two single gangs 15" - 30" apart if that is all the counter you have.

Many DIYs also screw up replacing split wired receptacles, or ones split to allow half to switch, by not knowing to remove the connecting tab between each receptacle. Best to avoid those unless you have no choice.
There is no requirement to load the receptacle to 20 amps

Since OP mentioned microwave and toaster, I do think two duplexes is a good idea.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not trying to sound like a jerk but we don't really worry about DIYers.

kwired

Electron manager
Methinks the point was single receptacles on 20a circuits.
Code does require 20 amp receptacle in the situation. The content below was not necessary to make that point. 15 amp cord caps will plug into 20 amp receptacles.
but I've never seen any kitchen appliance with a 20A plug so you'd never be able to utilize 20A from either receptacle.

If one disagrees with NEC requiring the 20 amp receptacle they can submit a PI and see how that goes, it has been a rule for probably longer than anyone that currently uses this site has been around.

If you look closely at DE Vinci's "The last supper" there is even 20 amp receptacles in the back ground, but not GFCI's as they didn't exist yet. :)

Last edited:

Willie B

I'm not sure I've seen this language. I believe you could have a 12/2-2 (4 insulated conductors) to a single box containing a duplex receptacle. I would want it labeled as two circuits. I think better practice would be a two gang box with two duplex receptacles.