Can Two Small Appliance Branch Circuits Be on the Same Yoke?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm not sure I've seen this language. I believe you could have a 12/2-2 (4 insulated conductors) to a single box containing a duplex receptacle.
You could but as Little Bill said, the two circuits would have to be tied.

See 210.7

TX+ MASTER#4544

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
I'm planning a Mother-in-Law suite for a build. This MiL Suite will have a small kitchenette that includes a sink, microwave, and toaster. But no big appliances. I'm concerned that the AHJ may consider this a kitchen and require two small appliance branch circuits consistent with 210.11(C)(1). So I've been thinking of splitting the yoke on the countertop duplex receptacle and putting a separate branch on each receptacle.

I don't see anything in the code that slaps my wrist for this, but it feels iffy.

Thoughts?

Paul
2023 NEC
Article 100 Definitions Kitchen. An area with a sink and permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking.

You got a sink only. A toaster and a microwave are not permanent provisions for food preparation.

The inspector should know this. You have plumbing roughed in and nothing else.

If it were a kitchen I would not use 12-3 WG (multiwire circuit).
You can use 15 amp rated receptacles.

You still iffy?
You can invite her over for a snack and toast and MWO something simple. Just make her HAPPY!
Or have her bring a sack lunch, for you.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER#4544

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
I'm planning a Mother-in-Law suite for a build. This MiL Suite will have a small kitchenette that includes a sink, microwave, and toaster. But no big appliances. I'm concerned that the AHJ may consider this a kitchen and require two small appliance branch circuits consistent with 210.11(C)(1). So I've been thinking of splitting the yoke on the countertop duplex receptacle and putting a separate branch on each receptacle.

I don't see anything in the code that slaps my wrist for this, but it feels iffy.

Thoughts?

Paul

It is not a kitchen. If you have problems with the inspector, call the State.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I've previously suggested using a 2 gang box rather then splitting a single yoke for two circuit, even though code would permit splitting the single device for 2 circuits.

In a similar vein, I absolutely agree that this is not a kitchen by NEC definition. However I would absolutely run 2 circuits simply because it is really really nice to be able to run a 'toaster' (think countertop air fryer/toaster/oven) and microwave at the same time.

Jonathan

kwired

Electron manager
I've previously suggested using a 2 gang box rather then splitting a single yoke for two circuit, even though code would permit splitting the single device for 2 circuits.

In a similar vein, I absolutely agree that this is not a kitchen by NEC definition. However I would absolutely run 2 circuits simply because it is really really nice to be able to run a 'toaster' (think countertop air fryer/toaster/oven) and microwave at the same time.

Jonathan
I'm thinking coffee maker at same time as one the other appliances you mentioned is even more likely to happen in something that is borderline whether it is an actual kitchen or not and is more of a personal space application like a MIL suite.

TX+ MASTER#4544

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor

Jonathan
Yeah, if you got to pull in a circuit(s) then wire for future use but explain it to the home owner why you suggest it.