Can You Spot the Violation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
While doing an HVAC inspection, I found this modification ... It got in the way of the return duct. So, what NEC code section(s) does it violate ?

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    933.8 KB · Views: 128

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Which one?
300.10, 300.12, 300.13, or listed conduit 110.3(B)(C)? Probably missed something.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm still looking at the black iron pipe with the 90 degree bend and wondering how the heck that was done.

mtnelect

Occupation
How old of a building is this? Is it old enough to have had gas lighting at one point?
The house was built in 1925, and the black pipe originally had cloth covered wiring. The electrical contractor was hired to upgrade the wiring but realized it couldn't be done and abandoned the job. I have more pictures of his work.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It does not look like that conduit was ever correctly assembled. In the coupling on the right, it looks like the conduit was threaded almost all the way through the coupling leaving not threads for a secure connection to conduit on the left. If it was correctly assembled, you would not be able to take it apart like that unless there is a union or something else that would let you unscrew the conduit from the coupling.

Conduit in that time frame was not galvanized like now, it was protected with black enamel paint.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It does not look like that conduit was ever correctly assembled. In the coupling on the right, it looks like the conduit was threaded almost all the way through the coupling leaving not threads for a secure connection to conduit on the left. If it was correctly assembled, you would not be able to take it apart like that unless there is a union or something else that would let you unscrew the conduit from the coupling.

Conduit in that time frame was not galvanized like now, it was protected with black enamel paint.

That's speculating a lot seeing as how you can't see both ends. :)

JAP>

synchro

Occupation
EE
As mentioned the conduit was likely disassembled to make way for the new return duct. And so the conduit was just rotated to clear it, and some wiring was routed through and across the gap that remained. Just a total hack job.

In the coupling on the right, it looks like the conduit was threaded almost all the way through the coupling leaving not threads for a secure connection to conduit on the left. If it was correctly assembled, you would not be able to take it apart like that unless there is a union or something else that would let you unscrew the conduit from the coupling.

Maybe that's because there was a running thread on that right side conduit to make a "depression" coupling, as in the following recent post:

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/rmc.2567044/#post-2744781

Perhaps the gap between the conduits would be fully closed if they were rotated into alignment, and no other couplings, nipples, etc. are missing. But that's hard to say just by viewing the picture.

mtnelect

Occupation
As mentioned the conduit was likely disassembled to make way for the new return duct. And so the conduit was just rotated to clear it, and some wiring was routed through and across the gap that remained. Just a total hack job.

Maybe that's because there was a running thread on that right side conduit to make a "depression" coupling, as in the following recent post:

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/rmc.2567044/#post-2744781

Perhaps the gap between the conduits would be fully closed if they were rotated into alignment, and no other couplings, nipples, etc. are missing. But that's hard to say just by viewing the picture.
I have never seen a "Depression" coupling before, that is news to me !

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Might even find a manufacturer sticker close to the ends. A number of years ago I was in the attic of a NG armory built in the 1930's and that's what I saw used. Boxes were also painted black.
Yes. The sticker usually falls off. If I remember correctly, it also says "Union Made" on the sticker.

Rewired a house in Phoenix that had been built by the first Arizona Supreme Court Chief Justice in the very early 1900s. Removed almost all of the black pipe. In some places, because of construction, we had to leave portions. Put nylon bushings on the threaded part and pulled the wire on in.

Status
Not open for further replies.