Career Change Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrodptl

Re: Career Change Inquiry

Originally posted by jeff n:
Well in Mass. you will need 600 hours classroom and 8000 hours in the field to test for your Journeymans lisc. School you can do at night or go to trade school full time. After you get your lisc. you can go into business. Were you approaching electrical on a part time basis or full time? Part time could be a long haul with your other work. I'm really only familiar with work in my area but it seems that everyone I have spoken with that works in Mass. says good help is very hard to come by. There seems to be a need - as far as wages I would guess they vary by area. Go out and check around your local area - visit some local shops and see whats up then compare it to what you are doing now and decide. I've found the trade to be a very good career.
Presently I'm an aircraft maintenance foreman for Continental Airlines. My base pay is 35.23/hr. My shop at Logan is now down to 19 mechanics from a high of 33. I could transfer anywhere that Continental flies if the layoffs get to me but have no desire to.Most Heavy Aircraft maintenance is electronic and electrical troubleshooting. I've always enjoyed this part of it. I took 200 hours of code when I took HVAC during my 93 layoff. Oil prices are killing the airlines and I've had it with nights(close to 20 years). I'm leaning towards a night journeyman course (2 years) and will try to get part time work as a trade for accruing hours/experience and I'll work at a bargain basement rate. No matter how long it takes I'll still be the same age with or without this certification. Just damn tired of hanging my *** out at night doing extremely critical work for a lot of worry and uncertainty in return! Thanks for the responses!

jeff n

Your Mass. Masters requires another year in the trade after passing the journeymans test and 150 more hours of school. Then its off to the test. A masters will let you hire as many journeymen as you want (or can find!)but you still may only have one apprentice to one journeyman. A master also still needs to hold his journeymans lisc. to work - go figure that one.

[ October 03, 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: jeff n ]

texelec

The electrical trade here in Texas is a downward spiral due to recent licensing laws which came in to effect this September 1st. There was a three month period where you could get grandfathered without testing and this opened the floodgates. According to the Texas Licensing Commission as of this morning there are 70,728 licensed tradesmen in the state. The complete breakdown as per license type is as following:
Master Electrician 11,818
Journeyman Electrician 34,627
Apprentice Electrician 22,572
Residential Wireman 1,711
Electrical Contractors 3186
We are the gateway for illegals from Mexico and points south, which are flooding the construction sites. I reviewed a job site in an unincorporated area for a client yesterday and the only living thing that understood English was my dog. I am now an electrical instructor for an industrial manufacturing plant. I got out of the contracting business back in 1999 when I saw that it was impossible to make a living when you competitors were using this labor. I would be hard pressed to recommend to anyone to go into the trade in Texas.

Originally posted by brian john:
What shinning endorsements for a field that NEEDS GOOD QUALITY electricians. OK so you do residential electrical work move to a portion of the business that requires something more than a tract house requires. You have to carve a niche in a field where the big boys can't hurt you.

Big companies (in my experience) have trouble with quality and technical work. Do something that requires speciality. Do something where a big company may have trouble such as top quality or customer relations.

In Washington DC wages are 30 plus an hour 6.00 in benefits, plus truck, vacation and holidays.

I know electricians that are one man companies and do only basements and make quite a good living.

One friend has been in the same new neighborhood for several years based upon customer referrals. He does other jobs but this place keeps him hopping.

This is a good trade where you can make a good living, if your willing to look outside the box. In thirty plus years I have missed only 5 days due to unemployment and those five days I took off to see friends, when I returned I had a job waiting for me.
Brian I got a bunch of Brother out of L.U. 26 that tell me they can't buy a house at scale because the price of housing has skyrocketed the last few years you make it sound pretty rosy,maybe they're trying to get me to stay home? :D

Originally posted by iwire:
Police, Firefighters and Soldiers all do dangerous work.

Electricians should not be doing dangerous work. We can and should be shutting off the power.

I seem to recall the numbers from OSHA last year put electricians in the top 10 for construction deaths.The #1 killer was falls.Turning off the electricity will not save you from a fall Brother,like it or not this is a dangerous business.Two killed and two injured here last week when a scissor lift fell over.

jeff43222

The Bureau of Labor Statistics has a list of the 15 most fatal jobs. There's a table at the bottom of this page. Both "electric power installers" and "electricians" are on the list, and they list electrocution as the most common cause of death.

Sure, in a perfect world we'd never be exposed to live wires while working, but even if you take every precaution, sometimes bad things still happen. Plenty of people have posted stories on this site about how they got zapped by something that shouldn't have zapped them.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

This is the "official" Bureau of Labor Statistics web page
The three most frequent work-related fatal events, 1992-2003 are highway accidents, falls and HOMICIDES.

This web page permits you to sort "raw data" pretty much as you wish.

I stand corrected,thanks for the links it is good information to print out and give the installers.The growing category of homicides is most disturbing,I was working at a Ford plant in Michigan several years back when an employee or former employee came in and shot several people.Scary.

ka3vvv

I'm a 34-year-old Local tractor-trailer driver for 6 years. I do some Electric work now rewire my whole house put a new service.

I'm taking a Home study course on Electrician. It cost $800 at the end of the course I will work with a Electrician in my area for hands on.
I went to one of the local tech school they won?t $12000. I talk with a guy that went to the $12000 school in he work @ home depot In the Electrician dept.
I would like to make a career change myself. That why I took the $800 course @ $35 a moth so if don't work out I all ways have my class A CDL. I'm located in the Philadelphia Pa area. Some guys say it some work around here for Electrician but not a lot. It a lot of none lic guys doing work around in this area. Some get a lic Electrician checks their work. Because in Pa you don't need to be lic have to be bond with insurance.
I use be a installer for a company that install phone lines for the phone company. I stop driving a truck for about 6 moths to give it a try. Guess what I was back in a truck.

Good luck on what every you do.

It is not an easy field to be in. Probably never has been. Very few careers are easy once you get past the hype.

Construction wages have been flat for the last 20 years and inflation has eaten into what was a pretty good wage (I think the wall street journal calculated it as a 30% drop overall).

However, I have done reasonably well at it. But I work hard at it because most of the time I enjoy it. Since I get paid decently for something that I enjoy, I think that is a pretty decent profession.

I agree with the idea of finding a niche (and being more knowledgeable then most other electricians in the field is one niche). I met a guy a few years who seemed to have a great time going around doing the setup on dental chairs.

The bottom line, if you think you might enjoy it, give it a try. If you just want to do it for the money, I would try something else.

highkvoltage

Irodptl. If I was getting into the field today I would look into PLC's and learn how to do the programming. Also I would look into networking. We have a glut of electricans today. Not only because of the cheap labor but because newer products coming out an electrical system doesn't need the labor it once did to install it. I just worked at a hospital and all the outlet were prewired. All we had to do was drop a prefab flex (MC) down and plug them in. Everything is becoming prewired today. A job that use to take a year now takes 6 months and it gets worse every year. Most commerical job you run all flex (MC) cable instead of conduit. They can train monkeys to pull MC and they will do it for bananas. I can't live on bananas. Don't get me wrong I love the trade and just started a electrical contracting business. I want to be the big gorilla not the chimp anymore. Best of luck to you.

peter d

Highkvoltage,

I would like to respectfully disagree with a few comments you made.

We have a glut of electricans today.
I don't know where you live but that's not the case in many areas. We have a bad shortage of qualified electricians in my area. I have received 6 job offers in the last year, and they keep coming. The key is "qualified." The hacks don't last long, but a good electrician has it made.

A job that use to take a year now takes 6 months and it gets worse every year.
I don't see how that's bad. If an area is in need of a hospital, it's nice to know that the hospital will be operating 6 months sooner.

Most commerical job you run all flex (MC) cable instead of conduit. They can train monkeys to pull MC and they will do it for bananas.
If you bid jobs with pipe, you will never win a bid. We've had the "pipe vs. MC" argument a million times before, and it boils down to the ability of the installer, not the wiring method.

[ December 17, 2004, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

jimwalker

At the rate of pay many top end electricians feel like they are being cheated.Some are leaving the field.Companies are forced to hire cheap help to win bids, and it comes at a price tag of poor quality workers.Come visit Tampa FL. and apply for a job.Make sure you buy a 2 way ticket.

jason32

holiday greetings all!
My two to three cents, for precisely
what their worth....
Working for any man is, by default, working for THE
MAN
However, starting ones' own business is not for everyone, and as workers we should and demand nothing short of a fair days pay for an honest days work. Prior to 1917, this was what unions were for.
Today, it is a cold hard fact that we are rewarded with a smaller percentage of the net worth of the goods/services we produce than at almost any time in the history of capitalism.
The bottom line is this, we as workers can only earn as much as our bosses' consciences will allow. When they say, "I'm rich enough", we make more money. Then and only then.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jim and Jason, all I can say is I'm sorry you guys are so miserable, my heart goes out to you.

I have never been in business for myself, always worked for a company, (although I hold an unlimited license and have a company name registered with the state) and have done very well in this trade.

Roger

[ December 17, 2004, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

jason32

roger,
I am sorry I was misunderstood. I love what I do, and am very happy with the company, and man,I work for.
My post was intended only as an observation of the trade/industry from a broader viewpoint. If you love what you do, the necessary money will follow. If, of course, you find the right boss. Which I have.
Thanks for your concern.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jason, thank you for the clarification, I'm sorry I misunderstood your post.

BTW, Happy Holidays to you and everyone else too. :)

Roger

[ December 17, 2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

resistance

It took me 30 minutes to read all the replies. I can say this: If you are on this site at least once per day, then you are not only living the electrical trade, but you enjoy learning the trade. Seeing that I am a member of other sites (which I'm on most of my time), this not only tells me I belong in this profession, it tells me I enjoy learning, and being in this profession. So, if you are like me: On electrical sites helping others the best you can; learning from others; reading books when you can; and consistently making the trade apart of your everyday living--by doing one or more of the above, then it's not just about money, it's where you belong! Money will be an issue as long as you know your real value and work. As long as you are fair with yourself, then knowing your value want be hard. Now: Market rate counts. If the average pay is 17 per hour for starting residential journeyman, then I feel you should be getting that average to start. Your raise will then depend on your work performance.

I?m sure many of us have been to that company that talks the talk, but never kick?s out. That owner that buys the boat, but never has enough money to give you a raise. I say, ? the heck with those types of companies. You deserve better! Move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I?ve been in these situations a few times. If you are a good worker, and can be honest about your value. Then you are going places. Why let others be there to keep you down, or freeload off your hard work. With hard work should come rewards. If you value, and live the trade. Then find an employer that will and that is willing to see your value! The money will follow!

As far as people working for less: I've heard that some companies are hiring others to do the same work for less (Yes it's true). This form of hiring is costing other businesses there ability to get work, so they are laying off american workers. It was told to me--by my last employer--that it is hard for him to get work for us. He told me that companies are under bidding him, because they are paying others min. wage. I'm not going to go to far in detail, but the truth is: If you can get two people to work for the price of one, How can you compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.