Cat 6A cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Our IT engineer has a detail on his drawings that shows a 2 inch conduit from a furniture connection point on the wall up to the ceiling plenum (8 to 10 feet of conduit) He plans to run 12, Cat 6A cables in this thing. I haven't done the math, but I believe it will be over 40% full. Aren't low voltage cables subject to the 40% fill rule? I thought they were.

Our IT engineer has a detail on his drawings that shows a 2 inch conduit from a furniture connection point on the wall up to the ceiling plenum (8 to 10 feet of conduit) He plans to run 12, Cat 6A cables in this thing. I haven't done the math, but I believe it will be over 40% full. Aren't low voltage cables subject to the 40% fill rule? I thought they were.

Just using "visual engineering" I have a hard time believing 12 ca t6a in 2" being over 40% fill.

Regarding whether fill applies, I would say yes for your situation, but there are certain "low voltage"/ "communication" cables that are exempt. See this thread post #34:

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Doesn't this fall under 800.110(B)?

(B) Raceway Fill for Communications Wires and Cables. The raceway fill requirements of Chapters 3 and 9 shall not apply to communications wires and cables.

Edit: I'll have to check out electrofelon's link..

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Interesting. I am now in agreement with you that 800 probably doesn't apply, so the the fill requirement rules probably do apply.

In 800.2 Definitions (my bold):
Communications Circuit. The circuit that extends voice, audio, video, data, interactive services, telegraph (except radio), outside wiring for fire alarm and burglar alarm from the communications utility to the customer's communications equipment up to and including terminal equipment such as a telephone, fax machine, or answering machine.

I actually thought you could theoretically jam as many ethernet cables as you wanted into a raceway (even though you'd hate yourself during the install for doing this). That looks to be incorrect thinking.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Data cables that do not directly connect to the communications provider equipment are covered by Article 725. 725.3(A) requires compliance with 300.17. Data cables that connect directly to the communications provider equipment are covered by Article 805 (2020 code) and the wire fill rules do not apply.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Our IT engineer has a detail on his drawings that shows a 2 inch conduit from a furniture connection point on the wall up to the ceiling plenum (8 to 10 feet of conduit) He plans to run 12, Cat 6A cables in this thing. I haven't done the math, but I believe it will be over 40% full.
How thick are these cables?????

Status
Not open for further replies.