Cat5 for doorbell?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Here is an excerpt from the article " “It's very unfortunate that copper clad aluminum products are being marketed as compliant to North America codes and standards for low voltage communications when in fact, they are not. This is particularly concerning if the cable is being used to support power-over-Ethernet devices. These cables should not be called category cable because they do not meet the standards” that require solid copper conductors for multi-conductor communications cables, including the National Electrical Code, UL 444, CSA 22.2, TIA 568C.2, and ISO/IEC 11801 ed 2.2"

That all started with the Chinese dumping that garbage on us and us buying it because it was so cheap. Most IT and DIYs have no idea what CCA is and no idea that's what they are buying. They only look at how much money they are saving.

I wouldn't use CCA for ANYTHING.

-Hal

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
As long as the AHJ approves it, it's not something to worry about. I've learned a long time ago to choose my battles and this is not a hill I would choose to die on, or die defending. It's whatever the inspector wants or is acceptable to him. In the realm of things that can do harm, this one is nothing to write home about.
There are only two types of electrician in this world, ones that have witnessed terrible accidents and or a large electrical fire and ones that have not yet.
I have. And let me tell you forensics insurance investigators could care less about what the local inspector whom is drinking buddies with your boss passed.
Been there done that.
If there is a big loss fire or fatality, everything goes under a very big microscope then gets explained to a jury.

It does seem trivial, stupid really who cares about a doorbell wire? But on a sizable subdivision the penny pinching estimators are employed to cut costs.
I don't think we'll loose the work over it, I just think using cat5 for everything is sloppy.
18/3 Stat wire has 'doorbells' right there in the listing and labeling.
So happy 4th everyone god bless. And thank you Mike for this forum its a big help.
Hope you all can catch a breath and enjoy some time with your families this weekend.
And remember quality over quantity 110.12 Neat and workman like.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I don't think we'll loose the work over it, I just think using cat5 for everything is sloppy.

If you go back to my original remarks, that's exactly what I believe. But I can see where you might want to use CAT5 with the current technology. This whole thread is about whether you can use it for everything, not whether it's right or poor workmanship to do so.

-Hal

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I wouldn't use CCA for ANYTHING.

Yeah the idea of it being used in that new NM house wire gives me chills. It'll get misused by handymen doing work in lower income neighborhoods with 100 plus year old housing stock

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Yeah the idea of it being used in that new NM house wire gives me chills. It'll get misused by handymen doing work in lower income neighborhoods with 100 plus year old housing stock
I think it'll be used mostly by big crews in tract housing and new apartments. Big box stores like cero and southwire I don't see them jumping to copperweld.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I think it'll be used mostly by big crews in tract housing and new apartments. Big box stores like cero and southwire I don't see them jumping to copperweld.
Well I hope you're right

Here in the Anthracite Region we have a whole lot of people living in housing like this. The idea of adding CCA wire into this mix scares the hell out of me.

CR1.jpg

MC1.jpg

f468812d-bb39-4dad-983f-98bf30f6ba83_1920x1080.jpg

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician

Joethemechanic

Occupation
One on top is for sale. Somebody will fix the plumbing, get the electric turned on, move in and use electric space heaters this winter

I would say 10 grand cash would buy that house, maybe less

Last edited:

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
One on top is for sale. Somebody will fix the plumbing, get the electric turned on, move in and use electric space heaters this winter

I would say 10 grand cash would buy that house, maybe less
17k wow. Even with cost to improve that cheap to me. What’s your rent rate

Joethemechanic

Occupation
17k wow. Even with cost to improve that cheap to me. What’s your rent rate
Here in Hazleton it been getting crazy high. We are 90 minutes from the GW Bridge, so all the people that are leaving NY are driving prices up. Not sure what Gilberton is like, it's a bit farther out. Lots of deals in Mahanoy City too. That is like 10 miles from me. Sooner or later the NY and Philly people will be looking there

A friend of mine got a house in Mahanoy City a few years ago for $1.00 It was a mess though. He fixed it and lives there now

Those good deals never see the MLS. Basically banks don't want to give a mortgage on them, so only cash buyers can buy them. Drops the price drastically