Cdt Term

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

We have two big boxes with hubs(ones that stick out of box) about 80 feet apart. We have to have watertight connection at the hubs and I was told that we can’t threaded the conduit into each end because it won’t work due to turning in different directions .Someone mentioned using Ericksons but they are expensive. Any cheaper way to make these terms at the hubs?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Someone with more field experience may have a better answer, but if the specs allow it one option would be to use a compression coupling. That will give you the rotational freedom you need. Just make up the hub connections at each end before tightening the compression coupling.

Cheers, Wayne

mstrlucky74

Someone with more field experience may have a better answer, but if the specs allow it one option would be to use a compression coupling. That will give you the rotational freedom you need. Just make up the hub connections at each end before tightening the compression coupling.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks. What would be the difference between using that or a split coupling? Why one over another? THanks.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Thanks. What would be the difference between using that or a split coupling? Why one over another? THanks.
Hopefully someone else can respond on the relative merits of compression coupling, split coupling, and three piece coupling, as I don't have the experience to answer.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
YEs why would you use a split coupling over a regular?
A threaded coupling requires you to be able to spin one of the two pipes coming into it. The compression, split, and 3-piece (Erickson) couplings do not.

Other than that, I don't know the pros and cons.

Cheers, Wayne

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Do your men know how to run threaded pipe?
How big is the box?
Look in your "library" for fittings,
3 piece,Erickson not water anything.
Compression, reread your own questions from your previous thread.
Split, is in your library or use the google box.

kwired

Electron manager
Aren't split, three piece and Erickson different names for the same thing?

Only other thing I have seen is the unions rated for hazardous locations, but they are even more expensive.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Aren't split, three piece and Erickson different names for the same thing?

Only other thing I have seen is the unions rated for hazardous locations, but they are even more expensive.

3 piece and Erickson are the same, a split coupling is just that a threaded coupling that's split lengthwise with two carriage bolts to tighten it.

mstrlucky74

3 piece and Erickson are the same, a split coupling is just that a threaded coupling that's split lengthwise with two carriage bolts to tighten it.

OK I'm a bit confused. So if you have 3 very big boxes heavy boxes with threaded hubs that stick out of the box why would someone say you cant just thread the threaded end of the RGS in the hubs? It just won't work because of the different rotations being different at each end so you would need a Erickson or something similar. Does this make sense the way I explained it? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can thread the RMC into the hub on one side but if you try to do it on the other side you will unscrew it from the first box or one of the couplings.:)

Cheers, Wayne

That is what I would do. The one thing to be careful of is that many/most RMC compression fittings are not raintight. IIRC there are only a couple product lines that are.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
If we knew if your men know how to run threaded pipe, it is a skill of its own, and how big the boxes are you might not need any fittings!

kwired

Electron manager
. Ok so what(fittings I guess) are the solutions?
Already been mentioned, compression fittings, three piece couplings or the split couplings - or anything else that may be out there that doesn't have to be threaded on in one step. Or you need to have the ability to "unmount" the box or other end item in the run and spin it onto the threads of the conduit.

If your "end boxes" were small and easy to handle device boxes, light boxes, etc. you would ordinarily spin them (or at least one of them) onto the conduit before mounting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.