CEE Rebar Stub Out? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Looks like in figure 4 that they advocate rebar stubbed out in dirt. Anyone here like that option? Looks like they need a revision. That is not even using common sense.

However, it has nothing to do with the actual code wording.

And George, don't worry about showing up late. You are welcomed to be wrong at any point in the discussion.:grin:

M. D.

Right ,...it is however a rather important opinion of what the words indicate ..for New Hampshire at any rate.

jrannis

acrwc10 said:
since the electrician should be running the "CEE" and conductors attached there to, maybe all of the building steel that becomes part of that system should be installed by the electrician. Just so we can be sure it is Electrically continuous, after all we can not be sure that the Iron workers a capable of torquing the bolts to the correct specifications, and the rebar mat in the footers may not get tied correctly either unless done by properly trained electricians......................Dare we risk not doing this work ourself, and trusting "non-electricians" to make such difficult connections without us ? It could be risky.

Maybe mine will be the last word in this mile long thread.:D

Years ago in Miami, we had an all out war with the iron workers over the subject. They had the opinion that ironworkers should install electrical conduits in the slab because conduit was steel and we were not placing them properly, screwing up the concrete pour.

mivey

If I worked in New Hampshire, their opinion would certainly be important, even when wrong. If I thought they were allowing something I knew was a problem, I would step my installation standards up to a different level if possible.

mivey

jrannis said:
Years ago in Miami, we had an all out war with the iron workers over the subject. They had the opinion that ironworkers should install electrical conduits in the slab because conduit was steel and we were not placing them properly, screwing up the concrete pour.
They could have been right (not about them installing it, but about the result). What happened?

cschmid

MD so they allow the rod to be stubbed up long enough to go through the std and be connected to as long as the rod that comes through the concrete and comes in contact with the air is coated with a non corrosive coating such as epoxy..now in order to connect to the rod epoxy must be remove and then that allows the rod to rust..are you going to remove the epoxy and make the connection and then coat the rod again..just curious..

cschmid

so in the 2008 MN building code (I have not look at the international building code that every state is adopting) states you must have a moisture barrier under your concrete..I do not remember footings being excluded..someone can correct me if I am wrong..That would make the whole CEE issue mute as it would nullify it as a ground..because the concrete must be in direct contact with the earth..moisture barrier equals no earthing...

Minuteman

cschmidt said:
so in the 2008 MN building code (I have not look at the international building code that every state is adopting) states you must have a moisture barrier under your concrete..I do not remember footings being excluded..someone can correct me if I am wrong..That would make the whole CEE issue mute as it would nullify it as a ground..because the concrete must be in direct contact with the earth..moisture barrier equals no earthing...
That was brought up about 2 months ago by someone in the '08 code update CEU class I was in. It was discussed a little, no one new for sure, but the general opinion was that the vapor barrier did cancel the effectiveness of the CEE.

Status
Not open for further replies.