ceiling fan priceing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
I am not in Boston, N. NJ. Probably same kind of high pricing compared to the rest of the world!

Assemble fan. $75
Remove old ceiling box & install fan box. $100
Install 1 fan on a 10' ceiling or less. $100
Use existing wiring to existing switch. $0
1 service call: ?? (>= $80)
--------------
If you start with nothing in the walls & ceiling:
$125 for snaking wire from fan to newly located switch.
$125 for getting power to the fan or switch.

Your milage may vary depending on the circumstances.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
jjhoward said:
Probably same kind of high pricing compared to the rest of the world!
Not really Joe. I remember one thread here regarding 200 amp services and the Boston area came up with $3200.00 for a 200 amp upgrade (ask Bob-Iwire). I think we're a llittle behind down here.

Regards,
Phil
Gold Star Electric
New Jersey

macmikeman

Home Depot now runs ads in my local papers that they will install fans for $69 dollars. They do not elaborate on whether they mean just assemble and hang or if they have to fish new wiring, add a switch, change out the box, etc. I'm sure they hit the customer up for alot more than the $69, but since they don't spell it out in the add, I bet you could force them to do all that extra work, and not get any more than the 69 bucks.

JohnE

What are the specifics? New construction? Fish in? If so access above? Replace light box as someone elese asked? A little more detail and I can chime in.

John

JohnE

goldstar said:
Not really Joe. I remember one thread here regarding 200 amp services and the Boston area came up with $3200.00 for a 200 amp upgrade (ask Bob-Iwire). I think we're a llittle behind down here.

Regards,
Phil
Gold Star Electric
New Jersey

I'm in Iwire's area. I don't remember the thread with $3200 for a 200 amp single family upgrade. I can tell you that is very much on the high side. It's more in the $1800 - $2200 range.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
John,

I tried to do a search for it but wasn't successful. It must have been in one of the archived posts but I remember that dollar amount specifically because it seemed so out of whack.

Phil,
Gold Star Electric
New Jersey

emahler

macmikeman said:
Home Depot now runs ads in my local papers that they will install fans for $69 dollars. They do not elaborate on whether they mean just assemble and hang or if they have to fish new wiring, add a switch, change out the box, etc. I'm sure they hit the customer up for alot more than the $69, but since they don't spell it out in the add, I bet you could force them to do all that extra work, and not get any more than the 69 bucks.

nope...$69 simply to install customer supplied fan on fan rated box, existing wiring and 10' high max....it's a loss-leader

JohnE

goldstar said:
John,

I tried to do a search for it but wasn't successful. It must have been in one of the archived posts but I remember that dollar amount specifically because it seemed so out of whack.

Phil,
Gold Star Electric
New Jersey

I almost remember something like that, but I think it was for something in the city. Not a single family. But ICBW.

Shouldn't be too hard to find. Just scroll through his 15k or so posts.:wink:

John

John

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
macmikeman said:
Why not call them as a prospective customer and ask these questions? Sound less knowlegable than you are, but mention things "another electrician" brought up when you had asked him about the large price discrepancy.

emahler

LarryFine said:
Why not call them as a prospective customer and ask these questions? Sound less knowlegable than you are, but mention things "another electrician" brought up when you had asked him about the large price discrepancy.

it's not a gimmick, it's a loss leader. You can call, they will tell you that the $69 is the promo price to install the fan only. They will charge you $50 for a survey. The technician will come out and tell you if anything else needs to be done. (wiring, fan box, etc)

It's not a profitable install for the EC if all you do is the fan. But if on that survey you get them to add recessed lights, dimmers, fan spead controls, wall sconces, GFCI's, undercabinet lighting, dedicated circuits for computers, etc, etc, etc.....

It's a free estimate basically. It'll cost you that $70 to go out and give an estimate. And most of the time, EC's don't charge for estimates. So you get a little change to give and estimate and a chance to sell to the customer...

Or you can just call and ask them....

iwire

Staff member
j_erickson said:
Shouldn't be too hard to find. Just scroll through his 15k or so posts.:wink:

LOL:grin:

I have kept my mouth shut on this one as I do not remember that thread or me saying $3000 + for a service.

I don't see many prices and have not done a home service in a long time.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Bob,

I didn't mean to imply that it was you who made a statement about a $3K plus service upgrade. I just remembered that it was in your area. I tried doing a search thru the archived posts but couldn't find it. I'll keep trying. However, I seem to recall that the service was copper and in rigid-gal conduit and in the city itself. That'll probably get you in the right $$ area right there.

Phil

iwire

Staff member
goldstar said:
Bob,

I didn't mean to imply that it was you who made a statement about a $3K plus service upgrade. I just remembered that it was in your area.

No problem, if I recall Pierre was charging some pretty high prices for a service change.

Back in the 80s we where happy to get $800 for a 200 amp change out...for a side job.

growler

iwire said:
I don't see many prices and have not done a home service in a long time.

Bob, residential service changed a lot in the mid to late 90's. In this area the service contractors began to specialize, service only. They put lots of money into advertising, making their overhead very expensive, They trained their service techs. not only in electrical but in sales ( value added service ).

For many of the large service contractors 3K for a servie up-grade is not out of line. I don't get many of the 3K service up-grades because I can't afford to spend 100K a year on advertising. I do love to see one of their trucks leaving a job I'm about to bid. My price ( servcie up-grade) just went from 2K to 2500.00 all because I know what they are charging.

In my opinion there is no set price for a service up-grade or ceiling fan it's all in how well you can sell the job. Some customers think I'm getting old, I try to sell the fact that I have been around along time ( experience ). In sales there is a saying, " you sell the sizzle and not the steak". Anyone can change out a receptacle but it takes a sales person to charge $200.00 and make the customer think they are getting a good deal.

If you compare your prices to the cheapest guy in town then it will appear that you are over charging but if you compare your prices to the most expensive then it looks more like a discount. I try to look at invoices and estimates from both groups to come up with pricing. I don't need to make as much a the Big Guys but I refuse to work as cheap as the Fly by Night outfits ( most will not be in business very long ).

To many people high prices are an assurance of quality. If you price to low they may think you don't know what you're doing.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Here Home Depot is advertising a ceiling fan install for $139.

I spoke to a guy that used to do their installs. It is priced out of a flat rate book. Like someone else said this is for a fan rated box and wiring already in place. Extras are charged for switches, changing to a fan rated box etc. Hardly anyone would pay the advertised price.

emahler

the sad part is that there are too many EC's out there who think that HD/Lowes is installing fans for $100 complete. And they then feel they need to compete on price against it...and do a fan install including switch, wire, fan box, etc for $100....

celtic

emahler said:
the sad part is ....

What's sad about that?

If these guys want to "compete" with HD - let 'em....soon enough, they won't be anyone's "competetion" ;)

FrancisDoody

I have found that using 1 1/2 hours labor from start to finish is a number that works for me. My labor rate is 80.00 per hour. It is very important that a service call be charged to that account if that is the only work being done on that day. Service call rates are based on time and distance. I have no problem with customers thinking $120.00 is to expensive to install a fan. Remember that must of the fans I install cost alot more than the installation charge.

satcom

"I have found that using 1 1/2 hours labor from start to finish is a number that works for me."

I could do the same time, but what does an employee take to do it, and what conditions do you have, do they want a fan installed over a bed, is the ceiling 8 ft or 17 ft, is there an existing box, or do you need to run an extension circuit, switch or no switch, room above, or attic access, is the attic open area, or packed with storage.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a going price, when someone says going price, it usually means they go by what others charge, not a good way to run a business, but a good way to get in trouble.

Get your costs together, every payout you make, list all your fixed expenses, break it down to an hourly cost, add that to your labor rate, then add what you decide the profit on the job should be, to that add all your material costs.

Don't forget to cover non billed hours on a service call, the clock keeps ticking on your payouts, it's real money.

I checked for the average fan install job cost, from 2 years past, it averages out to $316 which means some jobs were less, and others were more, this figure has no value to pricing any job, but it shows how the price differs over jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.