ceiling fan priceing

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

dale,

i agree. but stocking that material costs money. we run several residential service only trucks.

my concern is with the contractors who don't do that work because they can't make money, then turn around and call guys who do make money at it theives and such.

if you can't make a profit at it, fine, but don't begrudge someone who can and does....

emahler

Dnkldorf said:
Maybe it's me, but if liability insurance, payroll taxes, and advertising are more than 50% of your costs, you might have some problems..

Eric, depending on alot of factors, 50 hr, can be extemely profittable, just maybe not to you.

Your dad's cost of doing business will greatly vary from cowboys cost of doing business. Even your dad's cost of employees will vary from everyone elses. Not every ones business model is built like your dads.

There is no "one size fits all.

I'll refer you back to contractor A VS contractor B.

There is nothing wrong with attempting to help out contractors, but when you feel the need to publicly slam, or degrade, let alone tell someone that he should resign, or he is causing damage to an industry, you might want to take a deeper look inside yourself.

I started to respond, but you are not worth it...good luck and good night...

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Changed my mind and deleated my message.

emahler, please clear your messages so that I can send you a private one. Thanks

Last edited:
macmikeman said:
I recently got called about a fan install. Question: Is there a fan in that location allready? No. Is there an attic I can go up into? No. Can you accept a molding running across the ceiling and down to a switch? (brick walls). Yes. Phone quote- $375.00 . Lady-" wait a minute, I've had fans installed before, and I know it only costs $120.00 dollars for a fan to get installed." Me - Thanks for considering us M'aam, and in the future please call us again when you need further electrical quotes done...
Ok Maam... if it'll make you feel better its $255.00 to install a fan rated box mounted securly to the ceiling, wire mold attached to brick work, switch box, a switch, and wire... and $120 to install the fan. :grin:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
To heck with the PM:

emahler said:
Your post shows that if you crack down on unlicensed (or even licensed guys, but with no business permit) moonlighters you are a hippocrate.

In my opinion, based on your post, you have done more to damage this industry already, than you will ever do to help the industry in the future. But that's just my opinion.

Not only is it melodramatic, that was incredibly uncalled for. There have been many members who have admitted to doing sidework (myself included) who should not be subject to such personal and hateful comments. I personally don't like it, for many reasons, including the cumulative sting it puts on legitimate contractors.

Would he be more or less of a hippocrite for turning in moonlighters or for lying about moonlighting?

Probably half the industry gets started working for themselves by dabbling in sidework. I realize these folks are all going to burn in hell, but that's for a higher power to decide, not you.

I think you owe John an apology, IMO.

emahler

George, please take this as it is meant...when you become a legal and licensed contractor with employees, and jump through the hoops that the state and local government agencies make you jump through, then we can talk.

But what should I apologize for?

Should I apologize that someone does work illegally and cuts the throats of the legal contractors in his area?

Should I apologize that guys that moonlight tend to make themselves have to work more and work harder, because their bosses (who pay their freight, btw) have to compete on some level with an unrealistically low price expectation, created by the moonlighters. (i.e. the legitimate company has a harder time charging enough money to pay a better rate, so the employee (moonlighter) can work less hours and have a better standard of living)?

Should I apologize because a government employee, who is entrusted with looking out for the best interests of the legal and licensed electrical contractors in his area, advocates running an illegal business?

Should I apologize because most legal and licensed contractors understand that moonlighting hurts the industry?

Should I apologize because an inspector who is out of touch with todays costs is seen as someone of authority and knowledge by the general public. And this could lead to problems for a legitimate contractor, who prices according to his real costs, with the customer who thinks he got ripped off, because the inspector said it should only cost $x? (BTW - never happened to me personally, but has happened to fellow contractors in my area)

Should I apologize because I am not as politically correct as some others in expressing my opinion on the subject that most directly affects me? Pricing.

Should I apologize because I am voicing a concern that every legal and licensed contractor (no matter what trade) who follows the laws, rules and regulations set forth by the bodies that govern their trade, should and probably does feel?

You may think it's melodramatic. You may think it's over the top.

I think when you have a business (licensed and legal) and you have expenses like insurance, payroll, benefits, advertising, trucks, rent, etc. you will feel very differently.

But just do not expect an apology.

edited to add: There is another topic on this board regarding moonlighting. What's the consenus there? That's not even regarding inspectors.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I have not been checking in on this thread and I guess none of the other Moderators have been either.

It's closed now, show some more respect to each other or just don't bother posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.