Cellular Communication Utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadwick

I am a Cellular Phone Tower Electrical Contractor for T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, Ect. I have a few Questions: I am currently reading ?Limited Energy & Communications Systems? 2014.

1- Are the Cell Phone Carriers considered a ?Communication Utilities?? 90.2.B.4 (page 4)
2- If they are, would that make all of their equipment exempt from the NEC? (p10 question 6)

3- If they are Exempt from the NEC, then dos the AHJ not have the authority to approve or reject the installations or equipment that were designed by the cellular carrier from the Antennas, cabling from the antenna to the Equipment Cabinet, and the Equipment Cabinets, along with the equipment in the cabinet?

Attachments

• IMG_5372.jpg
    IMG_5372.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5397.jpg
    IMG_5397.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5400.jpg
    IMG_5400.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5403.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5421.jpg
    IMG_5421.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5425.jpg
    IMG_5425.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I approved the post, but I first removed the link to the company web site. We don't allow any form of advertising, and such links constitute advertisements.

kwired

Electron manager
I would like to think that the service, feeders, standby generator, and other general power equipment is not exempt from NEC.

Actual communication equipment beyond incoming power supply termination - maybe is exempted.

This would somewhat equate to utility owned power generation facilities, wiring of the general lighting, air conditioning, other common aspects are typically covered by NEC, but the power generation equipment itself is exempted.

ceb58

I would like to think that the service, feeders, standby generator, and other general power equipment is not exempt from NEC.

Actual communication equipment beyond incoming power supply termination - maybe is exempted.

This would somewhat equate to utility owned power generation facilities, wiring of the general lighting, air conditioning, other common aspects are typically covered by NEC, but the power generation equipment itself is exempted.

That is exactly how it is with our communication sites. The buildings are pre fab and wired in the factory with the panels, UPS and all branch circuits. It is then inspected by a 3ed party inspector and has their inspection label on the main panel, just like a mobile home. When the building is set the meter/service disco and the generator are field installed and inspected by one of our State inspectors. As far as the actual communication equipment the inspector has no jurisdiction over it because it is listed and approved equipment.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

That is exactly how it is with our communication sites. The buildings are pre fab and wired in the factory with the panels, UPS and all branch circuits. It is then inspected by a 3ed party inspector and has their inspection label on the main panel, just like a mobile home. When the building is set the meter/service disco and the generator are field installed and inspected by one of our State inspectors. As far as the actual communication equipment the inspector has no jurisdiction over it because it is listed and approved equipment.
I agree. To throw a little wrinkle in things, the pics look like an open site so there is no building to house everything. I have only worked on one site like this, however, I think the same principal applies... once you get past the service the NEC stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.