Chandelier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malywr

I have been ask to price chandelier installation and lift for that chandelier
Haven’t seen the house yet and dont know if wiring is there besides power cable
Chandelier is approximately 450LBS and ceiling height 25’
How much time do you think installation would take if wiring is there ? Never install lift before I have to figure it out if there are any limit switches? And so on….
I think 8-10 hours for 2 people am I closed?

Any tips and suggestions appreciated

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have not installed one but I think it depends on the scaffolding and how difficult it may be to install. Also assuming you don't have any you will need to figure in driving to get scaffold, installing it, taking it down and returning it. I would probably got with 12 Hours as a minimum.

Can 2 guys lift 450 lbs or will there be enough wiring to reach the ground- not sure how that works. Someone will chime in on that issue

Usually.... there's enough lift cable to hang the core of the chandelier at ground level (that's the purpose of the lift, lowering the thing, you then spend hours putting it together.

Who buys/bought the lift and is it suitable (long enough cable, capacity)?
Is there suitable framing to support the combined weight?
How long will it take to assemble the chandelier? To move it into the room?
I'd be asking for cut sheets for both the chand. and lift, and also consult w/ the architect or GC about the framing. You don't want to be adding that yourself.

(Here's the install instructions for an Aladdin 700# lift - https://d2c3s6u7.stackpathcdn.com/app/uploads/2014/02/ALL700-Installation-Instructions.pdf)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Strong second on structure engineering check. 450# is the weight of three people. Fortunately not a moving live load.
Standard roof framing should designed to easily handle one or two people walking on the roof, but that load gets distributed somewhat by the sheathing. Chandelier attachment is a number of point loads depending on attachment method.
If Chandelier light power is there, will it handle the lift motor too, and will control wiring for the lift be needed?
Light power should be carried with lift cable, or what's the point if you have to plug in the chandelier after raising?
If the lift is accessible from above, like theater ceiling, it is possible to connect and disconnect the fixture for lowering.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Strong second on structure engineering check. 450# is the weight of three people. Fortunately not a moving live load.
Standard roof framing should designed to easily handle one or two people walking on the roof, but that load gets distributed somewhat by the sheathing. Chandelier attachment is a number of point loads depending on attachment method.

I agree. And if the space or access above the ceiling where the cable hangs is restricted, then a pulley might be needed and the lift installed some distance away horizontally.

Buck Parrish

The ones we installed had a LV Cable coming down to a key to operate the motor. Ours was in a Cupola and we had to make the owner install an access hole to the motor for maintenance.

The one pictured is 6 ft around and 8ft tall

1657657622969.png

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have been ask to price chandelier installation and lift for that chandelier
Haven’t seen the house yet and dont know if wiring is there besides power cable
Chandelier is approximately 450LBS and ceiling height 25’
How much time do you think installation would take if wiring is there ? Never install lift before I have to figure it out if there are any limit switches? And so on….
I think 8-10 hours for 2 people am I closed?

Any tips and suggestions appreciated

Is there attic space above the chandelier? That is almost a given

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The Alladin lift instructions provided by zbang show that that model is rated only for absolutely horizontal installation for the winch drum to operate properly. Other models may vary.
If the installation point is in the middle rather than the edge of a sloping ceiling some significant framing may be required, with some design effort to make it look good. That or a doghouse on top of the roof.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
At 450 pounds you should have an engineer or an architect sign off on the load bearing supports required.
At this kind of weight, the OP needs a rigger too. I've said before here, and I'll say it again. Electricians are not riggers, and they shouldn't try to be. Screwing up rigging is a very easy way to kill someone - gravity doesn't care what you think you know.

If you know what you're doing, and have the signoff from the structural engineer for appropriate loading of the building's structure, 450lbs is easy. The OP should DM me if they move forward with this project. I'm in NJ, and I've been a rigger for 20 years.

SceneryDriver

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
At this kind of weight, the OP needs a rigger too. I've said before here, and I'll say it again. Electricians are not riggers, and they shouldn't try to be. Screwing up rigging is a very easy way to kill someone - gravity doesn't care what you think you know.

If you know what you're doing, and have the signoff from the structural engineer for appropriate loading of the building's structure, 450lbs is easy. The OP should DM me if they move forward with this project. I'm in NJ, and I've been a rigger for 20 years.

SceneryDriver
That's one advantage of using a permanent chandelier lift there is no rigging needed for the fixture. If the chandelier comes assembled you just roll it in place, connect it to the lift and up it goes. If it comes disassembled (more likely) then you assemble the pieces while it's hanging from the lift cable right from the floor. After assembly press the switch and it raises into place.

costanzo

Occupation
Master Electrician
Chandelier Lift System - Aladdin Light Lift - aladdinlightlift.
Call them. They will tell you everything you need to do. I usually allow one day on new construction for two men for lift rough in installation/wiring and a day for to men trim out/fixture install. You'll need to know if the lift will have the proper clearances to be installed directly over the chandelier or if it will need to be remote mount. If remote allow a additional day. They work great either way when installed correctly.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
That's one advantage of using a permanent chandelier lift there is no rigging needed for the fixture. If the chandelier comes assembled you just roll it in place, connect it to the lift and up it goes. If it comes disassembled (more likely) then you assemble the pieces while it's hanging from the lift cable right from the floor. After assembly press the switch and it raises into place.
I still contend that a rigger is necessary for loads that large, lift or not. The hardware chain between the lift cable and the chandelier has to be the right parts, and be assembled properly. There's also the attachment methods to the building that need to be considered.

SceneryDriver

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't worry about consulting with an engineer about 450 pounds. Heck, a bathtub full of water weighs about 800 pounds and I've never consulted an engineer before taking a bath.

Making sure of good attachment point(s) is more important

But I wouldn't price it upfront at all. If they can afford to buy a 450 lb fixture, they can afford an open-ended ticket for install

Malywr

SceneryDriver

Thank you for input i will keep that in mind

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wouldn't worry about consulting with an engineer about 450 pounds. Heck, a bathtub full of water weighs about 800 pounds and I've never consulted an engineer before taking a bath.

Making sure of good attachment point(s) is more important

But I wouldn't price it upfront at all. If they can afford to buy a 450 lb fixture, they can afford an open-ended ticket for install
A bathtub sits on a floor that is designed for load bearing. A ceiling with an attic above is not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.