Chandelier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malywr

I wouldn't worry about consulting with an engineer about 450 pounds. Heck, a bathtub full of water weighs about 800 pounds and I've never consulted an engineer before taking a bath.

Making sure of good attachment point(s) is more important

But I wouldn't price it upfront at all. If they can afford to buy a 450 lb fixture, they can afford an open-ended ticket for install

Lol i like your point

But bath tub usually is by the wall where there is supported wall below

Chandelier will be in the middle of ceiling away from walls stronger beams required
I think that ceiling construction should be strong enough but I would like to be sure

Also if there is power for chandelier does separate power for motor is necessary?
From manual you guys show me it looks like lights are de-energized during lowering and rising
But controll wire is needed. With control switch closed to chandelier Junction box so operator has better view and control of rising it up?

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
450# light fixture?! Holy cow. I've never worked for rich people but that is asinine IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, boy....
A bathtub with 40 gallons of water probably weighs 900 pounds (water + tub), but it's usually also in a place where the architect knows there's going to be a large weight. It's also a wee bit over the usual 40-50 pounds per sq ft rating of residential construction; like, almost double that rating.

For a 450 pound chandelier-
I don't see using a rigger as a necessity here (and as someone who occasionally still does rigging work). The architect/SE signs off on the location, the arch. or GC signs off that it was constructed to spec. Use a packaged lift (also approved by the arch.) that's sold for the specific use and follow it's instructions to the letter. Contact the mfg if there are any issues.

This is little different from installing electrical systems to engineered plans.

Now, if you needed to hoist that 450 pound chandelier to the ceiling and dead-hang it there, then a rigger would certainly be in order.

Malywr

Oh, boy....
A bathtub with 40 gallons of water probably weighs 900 pounds (water + tub), but it's usually also in a place where the architect knows there's going to be a large weight. It's also a wee bit over the usual 40-50 pounds per sq ft rating of residential construction; like, almost double that rating.

For a 450 pound chandelier-
I don't see using a rigger as a necessity here (and as someone who occasionally still does rigging work). The architect/SE signs off on the location, the arch. or GC signs off that it was constructed to spec. Use a packaged lift (also approved by the arch.) that's sold for the specific use and follow it's instructions to the letter. Contact the mfg if there are any issues.

This is little different from installing electrical systems to engineered plans.

Now, if you needed to hoist that 450 pound chandelier to the ceiling and dead-hang it there, then a rigger would certainly be in order.

Thank you all for your input

synchro

Occupation
EE
Owner set there is attic and approximately 6’ height in that area

Now i am thinking if 2 beams will be strong enough to support that weight? I will need to check length of those beams

I think you'll be limited more by the deflection and not the strength of the joists. Too much deflection could possibly crack drywall or its joints, plaster, etc. Whether this could be a problem would depend on the details of the construction.

From the picture and the stated dimensions of the Alladin ALL700 and ALL1000 lifts, it looks like it has three Unistruts attached beneath it that are 7/8" deep and 38" long. Deeper and longer Unistruts might possibly be used to distribute the load across more joists, resulting is less deflection. Or you could build a platform under the unit to distribute the load, but that would be more work.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lol i like your point

But bath tub usually is by the wall where there is supported wall below

Chandelier will be in the middle of ceiling away from walls stronger beams required
I think that ceiling construction should be strong enough but I would like to be sure

Also if there is power for chandelier does separate power for motor is necessary?
From manual you guys show me it looks like lights are de-energized during lowering and rising
But controll wire is needed. With control switch closed to chandelier Junction box so operator has better view and control of rising it up?
You really need to eyes on that job before you price it out

Status
Not open for further replies.