Changing switches and receptacles

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Changing switches and receptacles

• test using a shorting plug (for receptacles)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

I think my favorite combo is first, my trusty Greenlee tick tracer, followed by my Vol-Con XLII solenoid tester. Then fingers.

I seldom use a DVOM unless I am looking for precision. They can give false readings, too.

The Vol-Con that I have is great. No controls. It goes from voltage to continuity all by it's self, indicates (roughly) voltage and shows DC or AC with only a glance needed. It also has both motion and sound indicators. Great troubleshooting tool. The only way it could get better would be to have a pop up tick tracer built in.

That would be a Greenlee GT-65 (lacks solenoid shaker)
Greenlee GT-95 has shaker.

Input impedance 460kOhms -- Helps reduce phantom voltage readings.

I used GT-65 for Fire Alarm device replacement. Used to check polarity for correct connections and didn't feel as bad when it would fall off the ladder and hit the floor.

For troubleshooting sometimes had to use DVM (check termination resistors and voltages "precisely".

http://www.greenlee.com/products/TESTER%2540c-VOLTAGE-%28GT%2540d65%29.html?product_id=19154

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That would be a Greenlee GT-65 (lacks solenoid shaker)
Greenlee GT-95 has shaker.

Input impedance 460kOhms -- Helps reduce phantom voltage readings.

I used GT-65 for Fire Alarm device replacement. Used to check polarity for correct connections and didn't feel as bad when it would fall off the ladder and hit the floor.

For troubleshooting sometimes had to use DVM (check termination resistors and voltages "precisely".

http://www.greenlee.com/products/TESTER@c-VOLTAGE-(GT@d65).html?product_id=19154

Looks like a great gadget!

fmtjfw

What a deal!

What a deal!

I think my favorite combo is first, my trusty Greenlee tick tracer, followed by my Vol-Con XLII solenoid tester. Then fingers.

I seldom use a DVOM unless I am looking for precision. They can give false readings, too.

The Vol-Con that I have is great. No controls. It goes from voltage to continuity all by it's self, indicates (roughly) voltage and shows DC or AC with only a glance needed. It also has both motion and sound indicators. Great troubleshooting tool. The only way it could get better would be to have a pop up tick tracer built in.

The Tool Gypsies are in town (several trucks, swoop in, rent a place, sell mostly junk tools for two days, swoop out). I usually go, just for grins. I bought an Ideal 61-092 Vol-Con Elite (with NCV probe at top).
$60 at Amazon.

$5.99 and it even has a serial number.:happyyes:

I should have gone yesterday and bought them out. I teach WVWomenWork and a 6 buck tester would have been just the thing to hand out.

Stevareno

No way do I check with my fingers. :eek:

Absent a meter or other voltage detection device, I'd touch the hot and neutral together before I'd do that. :huh:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The Tool Gypsies are in town (several trucks, swoop in, rent a place, sell mostly junk tools for two days, swoop out). I usually go, just for grins. I bought an Ideal 61-092 Vol-Con Elite (with NCV probe at top).
$60 at Amazon.

$5.99 and it even has a serial number.:happyyes:

I should have gone yesterday and bought them out. I teach WVWomenWork and a 6 buck tester would have been just the thing to hand out.

Something tells me they may be counterfeit. As such, the CAT ratings may mean nothing and they may pose a hazard to those using them. I suggest not giving out cheap testers.

fmtjfw

Counterfeit

Counterfeit

Not likely -- the packaging was Ideal. The device looks Ideal. The yellow warranty card and the blue Certif. of Conformance look real. The three language instruction sheet look real. It would be hard to get everything right. I've been seeing Ideal stuff at "remainder stores" recently. And you could not build the the thing for $6. The test leads would cost more than that.

And no reports of Ideal counterfeits on the web.

It may have been the "loss leader" since the rest of the meters were indeed junk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.