Charging Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicklaxt

When charging batteries in pairs(normal application of charger), can you charge a battery if it is paired up with a second battery that is already charged?

DICK

dicklaxt

In a search I can find answers that would indicate yes,damage will occur and the solution would be a smart charger.

I kinda of thought that(overcharge damage) as I said but if you have a fully charged battery in series with a fully discharged battery wouldn't the smart charger be sensing the current across the series connection and shut down the charger ,this would protect the hot battery but the not fully charged battery would still not be at full charge and be removed from the charging cycle prematurely.

dick

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It depends on the charger.

Some have a charge circuit for each slot so it doesn't matter if you mix and match new and old. Others, particularly older units, have just parallel a single charge unit so for the best performance the batteries need to be pretty close in capacity.

When I first started shooting digital cameras, we marked all the batteries and operated them in pairs and charged them in pairs. I haven't had to do that in years, though.

dicklaxt

I understand,,,,,,,,,,,having a mismatch on voltage readings with 2 batteries in series would confuse the charger into thinking it was two batteries of equal voltages and over charge one and undercharge the other I THINK.

dick

SegDog

batteries in pairs

batteries in pairs

Of course, batteries in series need to be taken seriously.

Powerchairs (wheelchairs) generally have two 12 volt batteries in series, and they are charged together. I've changed-out one at a time on occasion, but ordinarily they live and die as a set...

Dog

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Of course, batteries in series need to be taken seriously.

Powerchairs (wheelchairs) generally have two 12 volt batteries in series, and they are charged together. I've changed-out one at a time on occasion, but ordinarily they live and die as a set...
Batteries are cells in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.