Check my calculations please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

Hey I just want some feedback on these calcs. for services

388a load and 365a load.

I'm thinking 400a services including 400a main breakers. USE/RHW dual rated, paralleled, 4/0 copper conductors with 460a total ampacity - adjusted for ambient temps of up to 104 degrees = 404.8 ampacity

dana1028

Explanation please - 230.42(A)

Explanation please - 230.42(A)

Here is a code section I've never really fully understood.

230.42(A) - The ampacity of the service entrance conductors before the application of any adjustment or correction factors shall not be less than:

(1) The sum of the noncontinuous loads + 125% of continuous loads.

As cpal had mentioned above - why not parallel 3/0s? Before the application of adjustment factors these conductors have a value of 400A in the 75-degree column.

I know after adjustment/correction factors they have only a 364A value - but that's not what 230.42(A) says -is it?

Thanx for any feedback.

cadpoint

230.42(A) - The ampacity of the service entrance conductors before the application of any adjustment or correction factors shall not be less than:

My response is "The sum of..." (IE minimum = met) then go back and apply some factors... see what one gets, or other...

Electron_Sam78

As cpal had mentioned above - why not parallel 3/0s? Before the application of adjustment factors these conductors have a value of 400A in the 75-degree column.

I know after adjustment/correction factors they have only a 364A value - but that's not what 230.42(A) says -is it?

Thanx for any feedback.

In other words don't undersize your your service entrance conductors or you'll be sorry

Smart $

Esteemed Member
In other words don't undersize your your service entrance conductors or you'll be sorry
Undersize is a subjective term when trying to nail it to NEC requirements :grin:

If the wire sizing is based on the sum of non-continuous plus 125% of continuous loads, you already have a built in margin, and a lenient one at that, for the sum is correlated to every load being on at the same time, all the time, which in most of our realities :)D) will never occur.

iwire

Staff member

It will be tough to be sorry as the power company will figure the load to be about 50% of the NEC load calcs and the power company knows better than anyone what the actual load of a dwelling unit will be.

In other words I agree with Smart$ :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.