20 Amp (12 wire) in dining rooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
IMO 210.52 specifically calls out that 210.52(1)-(4) are not covered by sections (A)-(H).
I hereby invoke "Charlie's Rule." :wink::D Read it again, and you'll find that it doesn't say that. Rather, it says essentially that "these are in addition to those." IMO, both the "these" and the "those" are "covered" by the statement.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I hereby invoke "Charlie's Rule." :wink::D Read it again, and you'll find that it doesn't say that. Rather, it says essentially that "these are in addition to those." IMO, both the "these" and the "those" are "covered" by the statement.

If "these" are in addition to "those" then "those" don't include "these"....
So the way I read it "these" are not covered by "those"

So are you saying every receptacle outlet in kitchen, dinning room, etc needs to be on a SABC?

It really doesn't make sense anyway...
I got no problem with the required receps being SABC but what about a dedicated circuit for something else?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
So are you saying every receptacle outlet in kitchen, dinning room, etc needs to be on a SABC?
Sort of. But as I say earlier, I really look at it from the opposite direction. If you put a receptacle in a DR wall, then the circuit that feeds it will become, by definition, an SABC. So if you put a receptacle 7 feet above the DR floor, intending it to be dedicated to the plasma TV installed at that location, then (1) It can't be fed from a 15 amp circuit, and (2) That circuit can't also feed lights.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Sort of. But as I say earlier, I really look at it from the opposite direction. If you put a receptacle in a DR wall, then the circuit that feeds it will become, by definition, an SABC. So if you put a receptacle 7 feet above the DR floor, intending it to be dedicated to the plasma TV installed at that location, then (1) It can't be fed from a 15 amp circuit, and (2) That circuit can't also feed lights.

Charlie I respect your opinion (based on all the many posts of yours I've read) as much as anyone on this forum but I just can't agree.

You have to look at the charging text in order to see what 210.52(A) is talking about and what it is not talking about. Even though we are pointed to 210.52(A) we still have to know what it is talking about. What about 250v recepts?

IMO it say that the following, (A)-(H), are not talking about recepts that are other than 15a and 20a 125v, and not talking about the items listed in (1)-(4).

Jim W in Tampa

I think it is poorly written that we argue it several directions. I retire long before 2011 but they need to rewrite this in perhaps english. Once again they used many words and mostly gray ink.

radiopet

If I were ever to become a stickler for precision in the application of words (?Nay, never, not he,? they all cry in unison! :D ), I might focus in on one particular word, emphasized below:What means this word, ?covered?? If I talk about something, then I will have covered the topic, right?

Suppose the NEC authors, in their infinite wisdom, enacted the following rule: ?All receptacles that are painted yellow must be installed horizontally. Exception: The requirement does not apply to receptacles that are painted yellow but that have alternating blue stripes.?

Clearly, this rule would ?cover? the yellow receptacles. But does it not also ?cover? receptacles that are yellow with blue stripes? The fact that the rule does not impose requirement on the yellow/blue receptacles does not change the fact that the yellow/blue ones are covered by the rule.

So now let us look at receptacles that are ?covered by 210.52(A).? To be specific, let?s talk about Bob?s receptacle under the DR table. 210.52(A)(3) says that you can?t count this one as being one of the required wall space receptacles. That covers the subject, doesn?t it. The receptacle under the table can?t replace one on the wall, but it is covered by the rule.

Conclusion: The receptacle under the table, being ?covered by 210.52(A),? goes on an SA circuit. QED.

See in this I disagree. To me covered is the application of the receptacles required in regards to the spacing and so on. I would venture to say it is like the issue of can you have a 15A receptacle in the bathroom if the minimum 20A receptacles and circuit is met buy 210.11[c][3]...sure we can have a 15A circuit in the bathroom supplying a receptacle as long as he circuit and receptacle required by 210.11[c][3] is met and all are on GFCI.

My belief is once the coverage to meet 210.52 are met, additional receptacles not required based on in this case the location would not be a covered receptacle.

quogueelectric

the liscensed guy I worked with told me all dining rooms must be 12 wire, or 20 amps. I looked it up in the book, because that's what I like to do, and 210.52 B.1.? or so references if the room comes off the small appliance branch circuit it shall be 20 amp, but what if the room has a dedicated circuit? Thank you

Must be 20 amp.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
See in this I disagree. To me covered is the application of the receptacles required in regards to the spacing and so on. I would venture to say it is like the issue of can you have a 15A receptacle in the bathroom if the minimum 20A receptacles and circuit is met buy 210.11[c][3]...sure we can have a 15A circuit in the bathroom supplying a receptacle as long as he circuit and receptacle required by 210.11[c][3] is met and all are on GFCI.

My belief is once the coverage to meet 210.52 are met, additional receptacles not required based on in this case the location would not be a covered receptacle.

This would be perfectly logical... but not sure it is what the code says.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
. . . we can have a 15A circuit in the bathroom supplying a receptacle as long as the circuit and receptacle required by 210.11[c][3] is met and all are on GFCI.
I agree with this. But there is a major difference in the way the two articles, 210.11(C)(3) and 210.52(B)(1), are written. In the first case, the wording is in terms of, "at least one." In the second case, the wording is in terms of, "all."

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
. . . I just can't agree.
That is fine by me. Everyone is welcome to disagree with each other on this forum, so long as we keep it civil. :D
What about 250v receptacles?
They are not players in this game. The opening line of 210.52 limits the discussion to 125 volt, 15 and 20 amp receptacles. But you knew that.
IMO it (is) not talking about . . . the items listed in (1)-(4).
I may have to change my vote on that one. :cool: Looking again at the wording of 210.52(B)(1), and re-invoking Charlie’s Rule, I see that the “shall server all” part of the rule speaks only of 210.52(A), and not of 210.52 as a whole. The items (1) to (4) to which you refer come into the story before we get to 210.52(A). So perhaps they are not “covered,” in the sense that I have been using that word, and they therefore are not required to follow the SABC rules. So go ahead, put that plasma TV receptacle 7 feet above the DR floor, put it on a 15 amp circuit, and connect the overhead light to the same circuit. I won’t mind.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
That is fine by me. Everyone is welcome to disagree with each other on this forum, so long as we keep it civil. :D

They are not players in this game. The opening line of 210.52 limits the discussion to 125 volt, 15 and 20 amp receptacles. But you knew that.

I may have to change my vote on that one. :cool: Looking again at the wording of 210.52(B)(1), and re-invoking Charlie?s Rule, I see that the ?shall server all? part of the rule speaks only of 210.52(A), and not of 210.52 as a whole. The items (1) to (4) to which you refer come into the story before we get to 210.52(A). So perhaps they are not ?covered,? in the sense that I have been using that word, and they therefore are not required to follow the SABC rules. So go ahead, put that plasma TV receptacle 7 feet above the DR floor, put it on a 15 amp circuit, and connect the overhead light to the same circuit. I won?t mind.

Well now if you say that we are back in agreement.....
You know that some how makes me feel better :D

220/221

I retire long before 2011 but they need to rewrite this in perhaps english

You know that this is the middle of 2009....right?

2011 is 18 months away. Hardly a long time, especially for old guys :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

You know that this is the middle of 2009....right?

2011 is 18 months away. Hardly a long time, especially for old guys :grin:

I retire in 10 months. Here i thought for last 27 years that i understood it perfect but now not too sure. On plus side i dont do residential anymore. Seriously we could arrive at many answers the way it is now.

radiopet

Charlie,

When I think about covered I think about the specific spacing requirements covered by the section 210.52(A)-(H) directly. If a location is not addressed I tend to maintain it is not covered and I personally don't feel that receptacles installed not to meet any of the covered requirements of 210.52(A) and so on would actually be considered covered.

I will send in for an formal interp from the NFPA and see what they say as in the end it has been great to discuss it. Thinking outside the box helps confirm the items within the box.

So just to avoid any question for ya I will switch it and use it as my 210.52(2) allowance and everyones happy....lol

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I think about covered I think about the specific spacing requirements covered by the section 210.52(A)-(H) directly. If a location is not addressed I tend to maintain it is not covered and I personally don't feel that receptacles installed not to meet any of the covered requirements of 210.52(A) and so on would actually be considered covered.
So, Paul, would you also agree that a kitchen island could have one or more receptacles below the 1' line and/or beneath a greater-than-6" overhang, as long as at least one compliant receptacle was also installed? We had that debate in the past.

radiopet

lol....well are you trying to pull me into some debate their larry?...lol.....or do you really want my opinion...lol

because I seem to be FULL of opinions people dont agree with these days...;)

radiopet

Sure, one great example is that in many locations if the island is considered a room devider and it faces another room then many consider this space part of the other room and would have to meet spacing requirements and thus a receptacle would be required.

Now since you are in Richmond, I can feel safe to tell you our Chief Electrical Code Admin. would allow it. If it is installed not to serve the countertop then we would not have a problem with it. Some can agree or not agree, thats what out AHJ has determined it will be.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Paul, in each of the two apartments in the building you did the partial final on for me, I had to mount a receptacle on the non-kitchen side of the peninsula, not on the SA circuit, because the living-room side was considered wall space, and another one on the SA circuit, at the end of each peninsula.

By "chief electrical code admin", do you mean Pat Murphy? He's great to talk with. Ed Tidwell is a little, shall we say, dryer :)wink:), but he does explain stuff when he has the time. I've learned a lot from both of them, and I've found that our inspectors have great attitues and appreciate being consulted.

radiopet

Then to us you are compliant. Over the past 1 1/2 years i have been working with them and once i was moved higher up in Richmond we started to have bi-weekly code training sessions. In the inspection i did we were ending a punch list from jerry i believe....I dont get get out much anymore since i do the electrical plan review but i do follow behind them in the field just to be sure everyone is applying the code evenly. Tidwell is like my best friend...we do alot of things together and he never misses one of my seminars

Status
Not open for further replies.