Circuit for Steam Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Residential steam generator for a shower has a nameplate 240v/10kw. (No MCA or Max OCP)
What is the minimum size NM cable that can be used to supply the steam generator ?
Code reference ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I see that as a non-continuous load so per 210.19(A)(1) so you need 6AWG copper NM for that.
The question was posed to me in an I.M. and I didn't think to do the math (I was assuming a 40 amp load). The question centered around any requirement to size the branch circuit at 125% and, although most heating loads are figured at 125%, I could find no justification to do so from the steam generator.
Are you in agreement that if the load was 9.6kw, a #8 would be sufficient ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Apparently there was some disagreement with the inspector and I wanted a 2nd opinion in case I overlooked something since an inspector saw it differently.

Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The question was posed to me in an I.M. and I didn't think to do the math (I was assuming a 40 amp load). The question centered around any requirement to size the branch circuit at 125% and, although most heating loads are figured at 125%, I could find no justification to do so from the steam generator.
Are you in agreement that if the load was 9.6kw, a #8 would be sufficient ?
I don't see a need for the 125%, and if the load is 9.6kW, then a 40 amp conductor is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.