Circuit identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

I don't think those are descriptive enough.

Better?

circuitdirectory2.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone know what section of code she refered to about above rule for circuit description?

Only putting "receptacles" isn't very professional and I think the guy that could live with something as undescriptive as that should have to troubleshoot it. I don't know any electrician that would be satisfied with that.

Instead of making excuses why don't you just use a larger format or make it two pages or front-back. Trust me, no one will get mad at you for being over-descriptive. Personally, I think it's a shame someone has to show you a code article just to get you to do a better job, even though common sense dictates it would make the next electricians job that comes after you a whole lot easier.

Dnkldorf

On commercial stuff, we mark every receptacle and disconnect with it's source.

Then just label the panels with "receps" or RTU # or whatever.

If you have a problem, look at the recep or disconnect and it will tell you what breaker feeds it.

This is better than panel shedules anyday.

PetrosA

I'm a fan of good panel schedules but...

I hate it when you have to make up a schedule for somebody else's panels and they have two recepts on the west wall of the first floor hallway, a closet light next to "Hanna's" bedroom downstairs, switched recepts in the (?) library or sitting room, and a motion sensor on the northeast corner - all on one breaker.

Some guys just junk their wiring up so much there isn't enough room to write it all unless you print out a book and hang it next to the panels. That said, I think electrical plans with stuff marked on them is the best way to go, especially in large houses. Hanna's bedroom won't always be Hanna's bedroom, and some later owner isn't going to know where the "African room" or "new office" was.

DSC_3502.jpg

4, 6, 8 -Rec room what? lights, receptacles, heater?
15 - Theater what? lights, projector, screen, lights?

I think this is what is meant by "...identified as to its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use."

Not picking on you, but this is what I call a good example. Remember the homeowner or caretaker is the person most likely to try locating a circuit breaker at some point.

mivey

I'm a fan of good panel schedules but...

I hate it when you have to make up a schedule for somebody else's panels and they have two recepts on the west wall of the first floor hallway, a closet light next to "Hanna's" bedroom downstairs, switched recepts in the (?) library or sitting room, and a motion sensor on the northeast corner - all on one breaker.

Some guys just junk their wiring up so much there isn't enough room to write it all unless you print out a book and hang it next to the panels. That said, I think electrical plans with stuff marked on them is the best way to go, especially in large houses. Hanna's bedroom won't always be Hanna's bedroom, and some later owner isn't going to know where the "African room" or "new office" was.
In additon to the standard panel schedule, I draw a footprint in AutoCAD, draw a symbol for every outlet with a number in it so it makes it easy to find the breaker. I tape this map inside the panel cover (in an envelope if it is big).

480sparky

4, 6, 8 -Rec room what? lights, receptacles, heater?
15 - Theater what? lights, projector, screen, lights?

I think this is what is meant by "...identified as to its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use."

Not picking on you, but this is what I call a good example. Remember the homeowner or caretaker is the person most likely to try locating a circuit breaker at some point.

Yet if I were looking for the Master Bedroom or Cooktop, I could quickly dismiss the Rec Room and Theater breakers.

This was a remodel. I simply changed some of the circuits and made the schedule to match what was already on there that I didn't work on. The only thing I changed in this panel was circuits 25 & 27 to the wine coolers. The original circuit fed a suana which was removed for a wine room.

"Kitchen" would be too vague, IMPO. But "Kitchen c'top receps" would suffice for me.

This was a remodel. I simply changed some of the circuits and made the schedule to match what was already on there that I didn't work on. The only thing I changed in this panel was circuits 25 & 27 to the wine coolers. The original circuit fed a suana which was removed for a wine room.

There is no need to justify your work for me, I think it is clear that most on this site think you do excellent work. I thought the post was a good opportunity to show what vague is as opposed to specific and evident.

Howard Burger

copying old information

copying old information

480 - When you copy from an old panel schedule the circuits you didn't install or change, doesn't it bother you that your name/company info is on that schedule if you didn't actually verify that the circuits were what (you) are now saying they are? What do you think of putting a * next to the ones you could actually vouch for and at the bottom put something like "*= verified by CodeElectric". That way you're not sort of taking responsibility for whatever was on the original schedule? Just a thought - the last company I worked for kicked dirt and twigs on my idea, but I still like it...

480sparky

480 - When you copy from an old panel schedule the circuits you didn't install or change, doesn't it bother you that your name/company info is on that schedule if you didn't actually verify that the circuits were what (you) are now saying they are? What do you think of putting a * next to the ones you could actually vouch for and at the bottom put something like "*= verified by CodeElectric". That way you're not sort of taking responsibility for whatever was on the original schedule? Just a thought - the last company I worked for kicked dirt and twigs on my idea, but I still like it...

Never thought about it. Not to kick more dirt, but it may give the impression of a half-arsed job. Someone may think, 'Gee, why didn't he 'verify' the rest of the panel?'

But I may go with '* - Installed by.... ' with a date!

Howard Burger

huh?

huh?

OK, this is rabbit trailing but...Who in the heck is Stacey Bridges? Sure you're not misquoting Lady McB: 'yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him'?

Status
Not open for further replies.