Circuit powered by two diferent circuit breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutierrjg

:-? I found today a circuit powered by two diferent CB,or that is what its looks like.
I had to move a receptacle outlet for a TV to be connected,and I found that keeping one of this two CB on ,the circuit was always hot.I have to come back tomorrow to check what is happenning.
Any Idea what is happenning here?
As always thank you guys for your help.:roll:

brian john

Yeah, somewhere between the circuit breakers, they tied two branch circuit together. Shut off all power but one of the circuits locate the middle and seperate the ungrounded and grounded conductors wire nut one set and problem resolved. This assumes that the two circuits comply with the NEC. Or wire nut one end of the circuit in the panel.

quogueelectric

brian john said:
Yeah, somewhere between the circuit breakers, they tied two branch circuit together. Shut off all power but one of the circuits locate the middle and seperate the ungrounded and grounded conductors wire nut one set and problem resolved. This assumes that the two circuits comply with the NEC. Or wire nut one end of the circuit in the panel.
Are you saying leave a hot backfed wire wirenutted in the panel???????????????

peter d

quogueelectric said:
Are you saying leave a hot backfed wire wirenutted in the panel???????????????

I've done that before. Got a complaint about a breaker tripping. A moron....err...I mean carpenter decided to do all the electrical work on one of his projects. He ran 2 circuits, only he tied them together somewhere, then landed them on 2 breakers. Kablooey! So rather than try to sort out the idiot's mess I just pulled the wire off the breaker and capped it, and walked away. I didn't make the mess and I sure wasn't going to clean it up for him.

480sparky

peter d said:
I ditto that ditto.

dito.gif

tallguy

480sparky said:
Wouldn't be a bad idea to label it in some way though, so the "next guy" didn't have to puzzle over it.

I don't know about you all, but I see a stray wire like that and it will absolutely drive me crazy if I don't know what it is doing there.

480sparky

tallguy said:
...I don't know about you all, but I see a stray wire like that and it will absolutely drive me crazy if I don't know what it is doing there.

Just 'cuz it's in a panel? Or does any dead-ended energized wire drive you bonkers?

frizbeedog

tallguy said:
Wouldn't be a bad idea to label it in some way though, so the "next guy" didn't have to puzzle over it.

I don't know about you all, but I see a stray wire like that and it will absolutely drive me crazy if I don't know what it is doing there.

Ahh, the chain of custody of a bad initial install.

Can you say snowball?

Status
Not open for further replies.