Circuit Simulation Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitt123

Does anyone know of any circuit simulation software (preferably free) that would allow me to model different circuit components and then simulate the circuit to view such things as waveforms and values?

I have heard of P-Spice but I'm not sure if there are others? Something where I could put a source, and various components such as resistors, caps, inductors etc... and view the different waveforms from this circuit operating from the source?

Pitt123

Matlab

is not free

etap

is not free

I've heard of both. Matlab is more equation based I think

Etap I understand is for modeling large power systems. Can you see waveforms on ETAP?

I am looking for something more elementary where you can see waveforms, from a single phase circuit etc..

I believe we have SKM here but I dont know if that will do what I'm looking for.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am looking for something more elementary where you can see waveforms, from a single phase circuit etc...
Check out...

QUCS (Quite Universal Circuit Simulator)

http://qucs.sourceforge.net/

Takes some initiative to get an understanding of how it works. There's actually a fair amount of documentation available. Unfortunately I haven't seen any hold-my-hand beginners type. I'm an amateur too, but if you need a little help, PM me and I'll try ;)

OOh!!! Forgot to mention... it is FREE....:D

Also it conceptually developed along the lines of the original SPICE application, but has taken it to a higher level (at least that's what the documentation says) ;)

Last edited:

W6SJK

I have used Electronics Workbench. Again not free but ocassionally available on auction sites for about $50

glene77is

PITT123,

I have used the LT_spice program extensively.
The help forum is useful, with lots of students passing through doing assignments and reading/answering basic questions. Linear Technologies Corp has been around for many years making chips and had many versions of this kind of program.

LT_spice was designed to emplement chips used in building switching power supplies, for which purpose LT manufactures hundreds of chips. I have used it in circuits which were times out to 300 milliSeconds, which is sufficient to show how the circuit works during a 120V AC cycle or two. It is free, supported with many libraries of components, and will run on my Windows 98se machines.

Caveat: as with any software package, you have to get used to it, starting with a simple circuit. But, then it gets really easy to make changes in components and signals injected, and trace modes & points.

As dKarst said "It is worth checking at http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/".

This could be the start of a good adventure. :)

Last edited:

wirenut1980

Check out Alternative Transient Program (ATP). It is free, and extremely powerful software for those who really know how to use it (I do not:confused:).

It is a devil to try and learn, but with some trial and error, a novice user can put together a circuit in ATPDraw program and it gives you waveforms.

The other downside is there is really nothing out there in terms of training on the software.

Google ATP to get you started. You'll need to request a license to use the software. Once approved, you'll get an email with a link to a download site along with a user name and password. If you have any problems getting things started, PM me.

rattus

Student Version of PSPICE

Student Version of PSPICE

The student version of PSPICE may still be available. May not fill your needs, but it is free--or was. Just Google PSPICE.

SPICE was developed by UC Berkeley I think and was free, but there was no support, and would not run on a PC.

SAC

Try this out - it can be edited graphically in a browser by control-clicking to select the edit menu (either on an existing component or in empty space to select adding new components). There is a link to the author's site with documentation, examples, etc. It's pretty good for simple stuff, but needs to be done online.

http://ee.mxpark.com/mwbc/mwbc.html

Pitt123

Thanks for all the advice guys. I downloaded free trial of Multisims, and it looks like a very powerfull tool that can simulate about almost anything.

I'll be sure to check out the rest of them as well.

I am trying to model what happens during capacitor switching on a system that causes voltage transients and a resulting current transient that leads to problems with tripping VFD's and other electronic equipment. I want to also play around with source impedance to see how this source impedance effects the results.

Any ideas on what kind of circuit to build with this software to model this event?

Besoeker

Does anyone know of any circuit simulation software (preferably free) that would allow me to model different circuit components and then simulate the circuit to view such things as waveforms and values?

I have heard of P-Spice but I'm not sure if there are others? Something where I could put a source, and various components such as resistors, caps, inductors etc... and view the different waveforms from this circuit operating from the source?

I think this is free:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/schematic/013/

I have used pspice and I probably have an old CD lying around, possibly a runing version on one of my older computers. It was interesting....

Not altogether user friendly. I'm sure newer versions are much better in this respect.
But do you want to be told how circuits will respond to an input or learn how to work it out yourself?

Last edited:

Pitt123

But do you want to be told how circuits will respond to an input or learn how to work it out yourself?

I'd like to build the circuits and then see how it reacts to different variables. Of course I want to figure it our for myself as well but seeing waveforms etc... really helps with visualizing things.

Besoeker

I'd like to build the circuits and then see how it reacts to different variables. Of course I want to figure it our for myself as well but seeing waveforms etc... really helps with visualizing things.
Have you considered getting an oscilloscope?

Status
Not open for further replies.