circuit tracers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky_magoo

Re: circuit tracers

I need to buy a good wire tracer. I am considering either an Amprobe AT-2005 or an Amprobe AT-4005. Can anyone tell me the difference. My boss is pushing me to buy the AT-2005. Are these testers any better than the old-school toner and bananna.

i have the amprobe at-2005...it works great on finding wires and tracing circuits...the at-4005 looks the same just automatic instead of manual adjustments
bill

mdshunk

Originally posted by sparky_magoo:
Are these testers any better than the old-school toner and bananna.
Sure, you can use many of them on live lines. You'd fry your fox and hound. Plus, the Amprobe kits have inductive couplers available, in which you can snap an "amp clamp" type of thing around either a conductor or a pipe and induce a signal on it rather than hooking up alligator clips.

I'm not sure about Amprobe's stuff, since I've never used the wire tracer of theirs. I use the old, classic 3M Dynatel 500 series that most everyone uses or has used.

jwelectric

Is there any way to beat the old jerk it a little and have some one yell, ?that?s it??

I was just reading a thread that gave me a good idea on how to trace the wires in a conduit. It is real easy just make them different colors.

How many different colors or combinations of colors could be made?
:confused:

badjeepr

i just purchased greenlees 2011 circuit tracer and was severly disappointed! it claims to be able to effectively trace romex behind sheetrock as well as metallic conduit,pvc, check shorts opens and live circuits up to 600 volts. ill be returning it first thing tmw morning and searching for something better :(

jwelectric

Originally posted by badjeepr:
i just purchased greenlees 2011 circuit tracer and was severly disappointed! it claims to be able to effectively trace romex behind sheetrock as well as metallic conduit,pvc, check shorts opens and live circuits up to 600 volts. ill be returning it first thing tmw morning and searching for something better :)

badjeepr

thank you for your suggestion george but im looking for something i can identify every circuit accurately in a health clinic without disrupting any power

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

What went wrong with the one you had?

C418_product.jpg

oreelect

Hi all,have not posted for a while.
I too have a greenlee and Im with paul.Its what he said it is.

paul

Originally posted by badjeepr:
thank you for your suggestion george but im looking for something i can identify every circuit accurately in a health clinic without disrupting any power
It's spendy, but our shop just bought the TASCO CMT24S circuit mapper. I've used it several times and it is one nice tool. You clamp on the induction clamps at the panel over the wires on 24 circuits, it does have capability for expansion to 42, and walk around with the unit and plug it into outlets or touch the wires with it. It then tells you on the LCD readout what circuit number it is.

CMT24S1.jpg

[ September 06, 2005, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: paul ]

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

I have had the AT-4005 for about a year now and really like it. Thru walls, underground, opens, shorts, live, dead - it does it all. No complaints.

Mark

volt101

I wouldn't use the auto gain one unless you are just trying to find the circuit. If you are trying to troubleshoot with one, the manuel, IMO, works better.
Jim

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

I wouldn't ever buy anything other than the Amprobe Phasar tracers. The Greenlee is a P.O.S. and the others fall somewhere behind that. Stick with the Phasar. It'll never steer you wrong.

badjeepr

o.k....order has been placed. I have opted for the amprobe at-2005 and i appreciate all the info from everyone. had i only posted this before purchasing the greenlee 2011 it would have saved me the trouble of having to ship it back. :roll:

badjeepr

ok... i just received my amprobe at-2005. time to go play with it and see how well it performs. wish me luck

Status
Not open for further replies.