Class 1 Div 1 Seal-off Fitting Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie1220

Occupation
electrician
I have a Class 1 Div 1 light fixture that is connected to the GUAT with an explosion proof CGB. My question is since I have a junction in at GUAT do I need seal-off fittings on either side of the box? Area is obviously rated Class 1 Div 1

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Just having splices does not trigger a requirement that the enclosure have seals. However, I highly doubt that I would approve the cord connection for that fixture as I do not see the installation being permitted in 501.10(A)(2).
(2) Flexible Connections.
Where necessary to employ flexible connections, as at motor terminals, one of the following shall be permitted: ...
There is no necessity for a flexible connection for that type of equipment.

Jennie1220

Occupation
electrician
Just having splices does not trigger a requirement that the enclosure have seals. However, I highly doubt that I would approve the cord connection for that fixture as I do not see the installation being permitted in 501.10(A)(2).

There is no necessity for a flexible connection for that type of equipment.
The light fixture is mounted on an adjustable bracket so I hoping that would be seen as a necessity for that flexible connection.

1678818334729.png

This picture show how the light was originally mounted but the light would have been shining right in your face so I elected to use an adjustable mount with the flexible connection.

Jennie1220

Occupation
electrician
The light fixture is mounted on an adjustable bracket so I hoping that would be seen as a necessity for that flexible connection.

View attachment 2564420

This picture show how the light was originally mounted but the light would have been shining right in your face so I elected to use an adjustable mount with the flexible connection.
And because of the low ceiling we could not mount them on the ceiling

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would have to see the actual installation, but might require a flexible coupling in place of the flexible cord. But also might accept the cord. You need to run this by your AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.