class 1 div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOGO.

HI

I have ex proof box(there is a contacter inside this box) and I added an sealing fitting to the opening in this box,
but my question is,how can I test the box if these no leak in the box or in the seal???? are there special tolls or procedure to make seal test???

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
HI

I have ex proof box(there is a contacter inside this box) and I added an sealing fitting to the opening in this box,
but my question is,how can I test the box if these no leak in the box or in the seal???? are there special tolls or procedure to make seal test???

It is not supposed to be completely "air tight".

The design of explosion proof equipment is not to seal but rather to contain an explosion when it does happen. Using thread sealing compounds is not the proper way to install such equipment.

When there is an explosion within the enclosure the pressure and temperature within is forced out of the enclosure through what small leakage there is in threaded fittings, but it has to travel around and around the circumference of the entering raceway along the way. By the time it has traveled from the interior of the system and makes it to the open atmosphere (that may still contain an explosive mixture of gases) it should have been cooled enough to not become an ignition source for the exterior environment.

HOGO.

Hi
I need to know if the quantity and the location of the sealing compound is correct for the sealing fitting ,because i think the sealing compound shall be in the other champer(big champer).plz see below
note:- the size of seal fitting is 1/2'' and the length of sealing compound is 3/4''(in the small champer).
View attachment 9143

View attachment 9142

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Hi
... i think the sealing compound shall be in the other champer(big champer)...
You are basically correct. The fitting manufacturer should have supplied you with instructions; however, read Section 501.15(C) very carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.