Class 1 near natural gas pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syakoban

Are there any regulations for running residential 110 near gas pipe in walls and basements? Can it be near it, cross it, etc.? Can NM be used or must it be in a conduit?

syakoban

Re: Class 1 near natural gas pipe?

I don't know - Are there any safety issues w/static electricity, Ground fault, or field emissions and gas pipes? Maybe not - that's why I'm asking if there are code restrictions?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

There are no specific NEC or NFPA (National Fuel Gas Code) requirements, that would require the wiring method to be more rigorous. There MAY be local codes or utility restrictions that would affect it in residential applications. It is not likely.

jimwalker

Your a general contractor why don't you let your electrician handle the wires and you go back to bending nails

[ January 04, 2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

syakoban

Thanks very much rbalex for a helpful and professional answer.

As far as the other participant's comment

Your a general contractor why don't you let your electrician handle the wires and you go back to bending nails
Unfortunately experience has shown more than once that even expensive licensed electrician's don't know code as well as they should. And when they screw up it's the GC that gets burned. The cost of chasing down and trying to get compensation from a licensed electrician after the fact isn't worth it. So the GC needs to know the issues and manage the EC for the good of the project and homeowner.

I think you can do more good focusing your energy on contributing to or improving your trade rather than attack someone interested in fulfilling code requirements.

jimwalker

Well if a GC questioned my ability i would tell him to do the job himself.We have inspectors to check our work.Not many electricians would put up with a non electrician questioning there work.If that hurts im sorry, but would you want your customer questioning how you frame a wall ?

electricmanscott

Originally posted by syakoban:
So the GC needs to know the issues and manage the EC for the good of the project and homeowner.
Good god. :roll: Please, please manage me. :roll:
Actually what the GC should do is hire a good contractor, not beat him down on the price, have the job ready when the electrician is coming, (not "oh everything is ready" then show up to hear "just start over there we only have a few walls left to frame") be loyal, and run a good job. Then the GC would not have to worry about the electrician not knowing what they are doing.

dillon3c

think I'll just pass on a comment..

[ January 04, 2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Unfortunately experience has shown more than once that even expensive licensed electrician's don't know code as well as they should. And when they screw up it's the GC that gets burned. The cost of chasing down and trying to get compensation from a licensed electrician after the fact isn't worth it. So the GC needs to know the issues and manage the EC for the good of the project and homeowner.
I believe the NEC in it's latest incarnation is around 800 pages of murky legal text. Your attempt to pick up a code here or there isn't going to protect your EC from himself, and your intrusion (however well intentioned) only serves to antagonize him. There are 1 million reasons to fail inspection, and the EC should be aware of 99% of them.

If your EC fails inspection and you're afraid of the consequences, don't pay him 100% up front! :)
As a further rebuke, charge him the re-inspection fee. I fail to see the point of your approach. It's like steering a car from the backseat with your big toe blindfolded while mainlining narcotics--makes for an interesting trip, but ultimately, a painful one. :)

luke warmwater

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
So the GC needs to know the issues and manage the EC for the good of the project and homeowner.
Good god. :roll: Please, please manage me. :roll:
Actually what the GC should do is hire a good contractor, not beat him down on the price, have the job ready when the electrician is coming, (not "oh everything is ready" then show up to hear "just start over there we only have a few walls left to frame") be loyal, and run a good job. Then the GC would not have to worry about the electrician not knowing what they are doing.
Scott,
you'd have loved the job we were on today.

Condo job. 2-hour 1-way drive time.
We didn't bid job. Original EC backed out of project and the GC is one of our regulars. So we worked out a deal to do project last-minute.

We got a fax on Nov.6th for a 4-week lead time to final-out on Dec. 6th. So here we are 4 more weeks.
G.C. says job is finally now ready.
We show up.
So do painters, cabinet guys, trim guys, the tile guys, metal roof guys, the concrete crew to pour the sidewalks, the pumper truck, and the crew showed up to grade the parking area and driveways and said they were paving.

All of that and I didn't have a cup of coffee yet.

I placed a call to the site super.
Straight to voice mail.
I placed a call to owner of contracting company.
Straight to voicemail.
Super shows up.
"Light fixtures are here.(we didn't supply them as we weren't original EC, fixtures were ordered months ago by GC)
Light bulbs will be here tomorrow."
Me: "We won't."

Syakoban,
sorry if you've had trouble with your Electrical Contractor. I know there are some losers out there. Instead of trying to manage the loser, why not look for a winner.

rattus

I will stick my neck out and say that it is in everyone's best interest for the GC to know a bit about the code and wiring. After all he is responsible for the entire project. He needs to know a bit about all the work, not just carpentry.

I would also think that a competent EC would not object to a question now and then. This should not be an adversarial relationship. Things run a lot smoother when cooperation is the norm.

Unfortunately, one cannot always hire an honest and competent EC. The bad apples show up now and then. The GC must know how to deal with them.

Having said all this, I will also say that perhaps this forum is not the place for such questions, but that is not my call.

pierre

This is a very touchy subject, and I would venture to say there is no answer that would be common to all of these situations.
There are good ECs and bad ECs, and there are good GCs and bad GCs.

The fact that a GC is looking for info here could be good or bad, we will never really know.

As an inspector, when a GC calls for info, I am skeptical and I ask him many questions first. I generally tell him to try and work it out with his EC, and might even call the EC - this way I will have both sides of the "supposed" story. I rarely will give an answer, but sometimes the GC is honest and wants to know more.

I will say that an honerable GC who knows more about all of the trades on a job is probably the best type to deal with, as he can keep a job running more smoothly than one who has no clue.

dillon3c

Originally posted by rattus:
[QB] I will stick my neck out and say that it is in everyone's best interest for the GC to know a bit about the code and wiring.-------------------------------------------------------------------- .......Sorry,I just can't agree with this statement.....

[ January 05, 2005, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I think it is obvious that it is a good thing for the GC and other trades to know a little bit about the electrical codes and wiring.

If they didn't know anything about the electrical, we would always end up with a hot water heater about 12" in front of the panelboard, and a HVAC duct about 6" above the panel :D

I see nothing wrong with a GC double checking the EC. What are you guys so afraid of the GC finding out?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.