Class 1 near natural gas pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Class 1 near natural gas pipe?

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Well if a GC questioned my ability i would tell him to do the job himself.We have inspectors to check our work.Not many electricians would put up with a non electrician questioning there work.If that hurts im sorry, but would you want your customer questioning how you frame a wall ?
I think most craftsmen are quite happy to talk to a customer who shows interest in their work. Good craftsmen have nothing to hide and are proud of what they do.

If it got to be too much of a time waster I could understand why a guy on a fixed price bid would want to move along though.

[ January 05, 2005, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

sandsnow

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Your a general contractor why don't you let your electrician handle the wires and you go back to bending nails
I wish more GC's had a clue about electrical. Then they wouldn't call for inspection before the electrician is ready. I do not expect a GC to be a master of all trades, but some basic knoweldge would be helpful.
I can understand an electrician not wanting a non-electrician telling him how to do his job. Kind of like when you get an inspector who's had no field experience. You guys have to remember, since you're here on this forum, you're the guys who do it right. Your the ones who really don't need to be inspected because you all take pride in your work. I can't imagine a sleazebag EC being in the forum.
The GC has a right to know what is the correct way for you to do your job. Notice I did not say micro manage. If he sees your men not connecting ground wires to luminaires or to switches, then he has a right to say something. Wouldn't you want him to??
I'm glad to see there is a GC who cares. Too many of them don't.

dillon3c

Originally posted by steve66:

I see nothing wrong with a GC double checking the EC. What are you guys so afraid of the GC finding out?

Steve
---------------------------------------I see nothing wrong with it either,this is why we have the system of weekly,bi-weekly job meetings. And umm, in your statement "You guys",Sir and where did you park your horse?

[ January 05, 2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

dillon3c

[/qb][/QUOTE]
I can understand an electrician not wanting a non-electrician telling him how to do his job. [/QB][/QUOTE]----Larry Sir,It's kinda like you pulling up on a large job,and being met at your truck door by the General.And before you get your butt off the seat, him telling "you" how its going to be Inspected and how he want you to proceed in the task.Now we all know, thats not going to fly, right...

dillon3c

[/qb][/QUOTE]I think most craftsmen are quite happy to talk to a customer who shows interest in their work. Good craftsmen have nothing to hide and are proud of what they do.
[/QB][/QUOTE]-------------Now, being from the field,this is the statement that works for me..---------

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

From a General Contractor's point of view, I think its quite reasonable to want to know the answer to the original question. This is clearly a coordination issue and relying on after-the-fact inspection is poor planning.

dillon3c

yes, and he needed to know how to count the cubic inches for conductors, a size the outlet box to I guess.

[ January 05, 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

rattus

dillon3c, according to your thinking you want a GC who knows nothing about everything.

I really don't understand why this thread has taken this tack. A simple question was asked. I see no attempt to intrude on the turf of the EC or to question his ability. I think all agree that the code is so complex that few if any understand it completely. That being the case, questions arise on any job, and they should be resolved before inspection. We have a problem if any sub refuses to discuss such matters with the GC.

As it is the original question has been smothered by what appears to be a job jurisdiction dispute.

dillon3c

I sorry Rattus,I have worked in the world of the J.I.W. & the "Yellow Ticket".I don't have much of the understanding of " the dabbling in the others trades".....nor do they...

coulter

I'm likely the only one out here that doesn't know what a "world of the J.I.W. & the "Yellow Ticket" is

carl

Status
Not open for further replies.