Closet light, Closet light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

stickboy1375 said:
Do a walk thru with the owner...and builder... but that's about it... but it does not matter how I go about my business, my point is how can code say I have to have a room on AFI without a definition of that room.. that is my only point, I know everybody knows what a bedroom is... it is quite obvious but there are CERTAIN rooms that you can call whatever you want.. so are we required to wire a certain way because you think its a bedroom yet I call it an office? that's my only point...prints do not exist for every job...

Down here the inspector will want to see the stamped set of prints.How can you pull a permit with no prints ?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This thread has taken a few turns, and has dragged up some old discussions. Let me take a moment to pin down the exact nature of the original question.

But let me change the original question slightly, so as to avert any more side-discussions of switches and outlets. Let us suppose a closet (that can be accessed only from within a bedroom) has an overhead light operated by a pull chain (no switch external to the luminaire itself). Then, let us suppose that the circuit that powers this closet light also powers lights in the hallway and the living room, but does not power anything else.

The question is, therefore, does this circuit, the one powering lights in the LR, in a hallway, and in a bedroom closet, have to have AFCI protection for the entire circuit? Keep in mind that this is not a circuit that powers any outlets within the “bedroom area,” other than that area in the vicinity of the “bedroom” that is called a “closet.”

My answer is “no,” for the reason that I do not consider the word “bedroom” to include the closet, or any adjoining bathroom for that matter.

Minuteman

Please allow me to join the fray and forgive my absence from this forum and my intrusion into this debate.

Not required, but I would still provide afci protection to closet switch.

The only reason I would include the closet switch on the afci circuit would be to protect the sleeping occupant from a possible arc fault. (Which is my understand of the intent.) All other outlets, junctions, and terminations would be outside the bedroom and thus have a "fire wall" rating. But this switch (though not an outlet) is WITHIN the bedroom and does not have adequate "fire wall" to protect the occupant.

You may now through rocks at me...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't know about anybody else, but I am certain that there is not one single "fire wall" in my entire house, and that includes the exterior walls.:D

Minuteman

charlie b said:
I don't know about anybody else, but I am certain that there is not one single "fire wall" in my entire house, and that includes the exterior walls.:D

I put "fire wall" in quotation, and was sure that most would know what I meant. However, I figured somebody would pick my words apart and miss the point. Much the same way they interpret code. That's why I anticipated rock throwing.

All walls have a fire rating, most are rated 1 hour. All junction boxes (with approved covers) have a fire rating too.

The '02 & '05 (IMHO) intended for all terminations within the bedroom to be afci protected.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Michael,
All walls have a fire rating, most are rated 1 hour.
Only if installed per the UL fire resistance standard, and few dwelling unit walls are installed to that standard.
Don

Jim W in Tampa

tom baker said:
In Washington State we have a state code rule that says any room accessed thru the bedroom is part of the bedroom, except for bathrooms.

Thats fine with me as long as you make it 100% bedroom.That means receptacles to the 2 foot and 6 foot rule.It also now need smoke detector and either a switched receptacle outlet or light fixture outlet.Guess it includes the living room too since i get to it from my bedroom.Lets keep in mind NEC does not require all of this.

Minuteman

don_resqcapt19 said:
Michael,

Only if installed per the UL fire resistance standard, and few dwelling unit walls are installed to that standard.
Don

Don,

Read this link about fire walls.

It says that a one hour fire wall is made with 5/8" Sheetrock on 2x4 studs using 2?" #6 Type S drywall screws @ 12" o.c.

So... the only difference I see is the required spacing of the screws.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Michael,
It says that a one hour fire wall is made with 5/8" Sheetrock on 2x4 studs using 2?" #6 Type S drywall screws @ 12" o.c.
It says that the sheetrock is type X...the only time I ever see type X is where the contract documents have specified a fire wall...that is not typical in a house. The only place that is normally used in a house is a common wall between a house and attached garage.
Don

allenwayne

don_resqcapt19 said:
Michael,

It says that the sheetrock is type X...the only time I ever see type X is where the contract documents have specified a fire wall...that is not typical in a house. The only place that is normally used in a house is a common wall between a house and attached garage.
Don

Normally used where, what state ???? 1/2 in. DW is the norm here must be a local thing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.