Code violation, Technicality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking at a commercial kitchen recently done, and they had a cord pendant hanging down and it had a gfci in it. The only issue I see with this is that it was was 'plugged' in (twist lock) and not hard wired. The receptacle it was 'twist locked' plugged into was not gfci protected (even the breaker from the panel). This is a 20 amp 125volt.

Is this a code violation, even though they got a gfci on the pendant itself.?? I can't recall the code article at the moment.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I would argue that this is not a violation.

The twist lock receptacle on the ceiling does not serve a countertop.

Instead it serves the _pendant_. The pendant then serves the countertop.

As I see it, as long as the receptacle serving the countertop has GFCI protection, the installation is sound.

-Jon

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since all 125 volt, 15 and 20 amp receptacles in a commercial kitchen require GFCI protection I would agree with 480sparky that it's required. I don't recall where in the NEC that it says a plugin device maybe used to satisfy the requirement for GFCI protection.

480sparky

I would argue that this is not a violation.

The twist lock receptacle on the ceiling does not serve a countertop.

Instead it serves the _pendant_. The pendant then serves the countertop.

As I see it, as long as the receptacle serving the countertop has GFCI protection, the installation is sound.

-Jon

It is a commercial kitchen. ALL receptacles in a commercial kitchen are required to be GFCI protected, not just the c'top.

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (5) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:
(1) Bathrooms
(2) Kitchens
(3) Rooftops
(4) Outdoors
(5) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink.

wireguru

what type of GFCI is in the pendant? If its a standard GFCI receptacle it is not OSHA compliant. The GFCI has to have open neutral protection. A pendant box with a hubbell GFM20A one one side, and a standard receptacle on the other side would be ok.

wireguru

if its a portable GFCI (any GFCI which is cord and plug connected, or on a cord reel or pendant) it has to have open neutral protection. With a standard GFCI, if the neutral is lost the GFCI cant function, and will not trip on a ground fault. GFCI with open neutral protection will not energize the load side if a neutral is not present.

from here http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_think_gfci/
"When receptacles used for temporary power are a part of the permanent wiring of the building, then the Code requires that "GFCI protection for personnel" be provided. In other words, the permanently installed receptacles are not required to be GFCI protected, but the people using them are. GFCI plugs or portable GFCIs are frequently used for this purpose.

UL has very specific requirements for cord-and-plug connected GFCIs. It is not proper (and is a violation of the listing of the GFCI) to make up cord-and-plug connected GFCIs by installing a GFCI receptacle in a handy box and connecting a cord through a knockout.

The special requirements UL imposes on cord-and-plug type GFCIs recognizes that they can be plugged into receptacles or cord connectors that may not have a reliable neutral connection. If this should occur, the GFCI trip coil, which needs a neutral to operate, will not function and the GFCI tripping mechanism will remain latched closed, even if a fault is present. Therefore, cord-and-plug type GFCIs typically have normally open relays as their interrupting mechanism (or in combination with a latching mechanism) that will prevent the GFCI from being energized if an open neutral condition exists.
"

wireguru

I never heard tell of this. I can't seem to find any documentation on it.

Are you saying if the neutral (grounded) conductor becomed disconnected, the GFCI will open? If so, why?

there isnt a ton of documentation on it, since its buried in the UL standard for portable GFCIs. OSHA makes note of it as well, and it is outlined in that article I posted.

On portable GFCIs, you want the GFCI to open (or otherwise deenergize the load (this is accomplished with a seperare NO relay in some portable devices) if the neutral becomes disconnected. The reason for this, is if a cord is cut and only the neutral conductor is broken, or if you have a bad receptacle or attachement plug and the neutral is lost, there would be a shock hazzard since the GFCI wont be able to trip as it requires the neutral for operation.

wireguru

I am pretty sure that all GFCI devices today provide open-neutral protection.

Ok, I just tested this with a Leviton Smartlock Pro GFCI receptacle. When the GFCI is provided with a hot conductor and no neutral, the GFCI stays closed and the load side hot terminal is energized -therefore the standard GFCI receptacles Do Not incorporate open neutral protection.

480sparky

there isnt a ton of documentation on it, since its buried in the UL standard for portable GFCIs. OSHA makes note of it as well, and it is outlined in that article I posted.

On portable GFCIs, you want the GFCI to open (or otherwise deenergize the load (this is accomplished with a seperare NO relay in some portable devices) if the neutral becomes disconnected. The reason for this, is if a cord is cut and only the neutral conductor is broken, or if you have a bad receptacle or attachement plug and the neutral is lost, there would be a shock hazzard since the GFCI wont be able to trip as it requires the neutral for operation.

I guess that's why I've never heard of it....... I don't work with cord-mounted GFIs. Mine go in boxes in or on the wall.:cool:

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
My understanding is that some (all??) 'smart lock' GFCIs will not reset if they are not powered via the line terminals. This is to provide protection from 'line versus load' reversal. Such GFCIs would not provide open neutral protection, but would not reset if there were an open neutral.

-Jon

wireguru

My understanding is that some (all??) 'smart lock' GFCIs will not reset if they are not powered via the line terminals. This is to provide protection from 'line versus load' reversal. Such GFCIs would not provide open neutral protection, but would not reset if there were an open neutral.

-Jon

it wont reset without the neutral, but thats not the problem. Neutral is lost while GFCI is not tripped, the load terminal is still hot and the GFCI cant trip.

480sparky

it wont reset without the neutral, but thats not the problem. Neutral is lost while GFCI is not tripped, the load terminal is still hot and the GFCI cant trip.

OK, I got a silly question. Why does the GFI need a neutral to provide protection?

If a cord is cut, opening the neutral, and the poor slob with a defective drill gets shocked, would not the GFI read current on the ungrounded (hot), but not on the grounded (neutral) and still open?

Status
Not open for further replies.