Status
Not open for further replies.

icefalkon

Color Coding is mentioned 8 times in the 2008 NEC

3 times in Chapter 2 - twice in 210.5 and once in 215.12
3 times in Chapter 3 - once in 322.120, once in 386.70, and once in 388.70
1 time in Chapter 5 - once in 504.80
1 time in Chapter 6 - once in 647.4(c)

But that's just where that specific phrase is mentioned.

Interesting stuff in there from 517.160, never had reason to know about those requirements...such as for x-ray machines, etc...ya learn something new every day!

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Don't know about all of you guys, but I live in the town where I work and it's not a real big town.

I finally had to start telling these local guys that I will answer their questions for free if they call me during working hours. When I'm on my own time I charge $100 an hour with a minimum of two hours.:D

raider1

Staff member
Don't know about all of you guys, but I live in the town where I work and it's not a real big town.

I finally had to start telling these local guys that I will answer their questions for free if they call me during working hours. When I'm on my own time I charge $100 an hour with a minimum of two hours.:D

Yep, same here. All the local electricians know me and call me quite often. Usually I will answer their questions even on my own time.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Me to, but it got so that they would call me at home and bother me when I'm bowling. I take my bowling pretty serious.:)

If I am out with the family or something like that I will usually turn my phone off and have them leave a message and respond later.

Chris

bpk

I have had a question for some time regarding the marked color codes for different voltage services in a building. Lets say you have a 120/208 identified as black/red/blue and you add a 3-way switch or 4 way for lighting or something. Do you guys pull a black red blue to it ? and if so arent you in violation because now you have a phase conductor that is a different color(the travelers and common are all on the same phase but different colors)? Or am I missing something in the code. This is something no inspector has called me on (yet) but I was just wondering.

cadpoint

One local university spec's purple travels.

At a large multi building campus out in RTP, NC, one international firm have thier own in house color codes.

I've also used the next color up the circuit count as the travelers, elsewhere.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I doubt it would be an issue with most inspectors, but, since the travelers are still an fed by the same phase, I would say to be Code compliant, you would need to color them the same as the supply phase.

geovan

Electricity is color blind. Unless it is running thru white, gray green or a yellow tracer.
Most people interpit the code as to what they are told. Not what they know. I might just make that my quote...

Jim W in Tampa

I doubt it would be an issue with most inspectors, but, since the travelers are still an fed by the same phase, I would say to be Code compliant, you would need to color them the same as the supply phase.
why ? The way i understand it i can use black for all three phases. Not smart but legal.
As per travelers i would be fine with anything but BOY. What i do sometimes is maybe use a darker or lighter shade of the phase or solid for travelers if rest is stranded. Or if limited on wire use tape of some color just so you don't mix it up and go BOOOM

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Jim, I was back on my more than 1 system thinking where the phases must be identified. I believe bpk stated that was his situation in his post.
210.5 states, where there is more than 1 voltage system, the conductors must be identified by phase. If you do that by color coding then the travels, still being one phase, would need that color.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim, I was back on my more than 1 system thinking where the phases must be identified. I believe bpk stated that was his situation in his post.
210.5 states, where there is more than 1 voltage system, the conductors must be identified by phase. If you do that by color coding then the travels, still being one phase, would need that color.

Ok that i can follow you on. Could he not use more than 1 color for lets say B phase on the 120 system perhaps purple or pink or ??? I have notice that for most colors there are many shades. Numbers on wires are ok too but might come off.

jwr570

There maybe a local amendment to the code. All of Pima County requires 120/208 to be Blk-Red-Blu and 277/480 to be bro-org-yel, unless the location holds a plant certificate. One of the missle plants has all blk for 120/208 and all red for 277 and up.
Still don't see an issue in remarking the yellow with tape.

iwire

Staff member
Never trust the color to identify the conductor.

Mixed139.jpg

r_merc

Nice B Phase and pretty blue wire.... but anyhow what did they do first I though they used a lamp holder for a fuse and then it is connected to a while wire. OK whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.