Combo A/C disconnect and GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mini Split GFI outlet and indoor head disconnect

Mini Split GFI outlet and indoor head disconnect

This new HVAC company I just started with a couple of months ago ask me to wire up their mini splits. I have done about four jobs and passed inspection all four times. The problem is when I first started with this company, I told them that your brand new installations required a service GFI outlet by the unit and I will have to install a disconnect switch by the head inside the house. This is residential work. They told me not to do these installations. Why am I passing inspections? The nearest outlets to these condensers are at the neighbors house. Since the a/c disconnect can be locked out could be sufficient to service on the head inside.? Plus what stinks about all this is that the wire going from the condenser to the head inside is done by the HVAC techs and is under my license.

Thanks,
Rick

iwire

Staff member
I don't think there is any debate that you need a service outlet for the outdoor unit. I don't know why you are passing.

As far as the indoor disconnect I firmly believe one is required by the NEC however that is not a universal opinion. Many do not feel a disconnect is needed at the unit. I do not understand that opinion but it is a fairly common accepted practice in some areas. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.