Commercial kitchen color

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Is there an industry standard for LED k for food prep?

Thanks

I don't think so. I've even seen kitchens painted black and so dark I wonder how they see the food to begin with. Retail is another story. You want to make displays as appealing as possible so customers will buy. There 5000K works well for illuminating meats.

-Hal

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I'm replacing T12's with 2x4 flat panels. The T 12's look like daylight so I'll go with 5000.

thanks

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I don't think so. I've even seen kitchens painted black and so dark I wonder how they see the food to begin with. Retail is another story. You want to make displays as appealing as possible so customers will buy. There 5000K works well for illuminating meats.

-Hal

I don't think so. That level will tend to make meat look purple. Usually they go for a redder light.

gadfly56

Occupation
I'm replacing T12's with 2x4 flat panels. The T 12's look like daylight so I'll go with 5000.

thanks

I recently got replacements for the basement laundry area lighting. Didn't check the ones that were installed, which were 5000K. I bought 3000K. Only one light was out, so you can imagine my surprise when I fired up the fixture with one 5000 and one 3000. :slaphead:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I recently got replacements for the basement laundry area lighting. Didn't check the ones that were installed, which were 5000K. I bought 3000K. Only one light was out, so you can imagine my surprise when I fired up the fixture with one 5000 and one 3000. :slaphead:
I can understand the "head slap", . . . . but color recognition is another animal. Did you do any "observations?" And, if so, what did you think?

gadfly56

Occupation
I can understand the "head slap", . . . . but color recognition is another animal. Did you do any "observations?" And, if so, what did you think?

With one 5000K and one 3000K lamp in the fixture, the contrast between them was, ummm, glaring? *ducks flying vegetation*

Seriously, the contrast was so jarring that I really didn't pay attention to the effect on the area as far as color rendition, etc. Now, once I popped in the other 3000K lamp it was definitely a "softer" white, but I don't know if I would have immediately picked that up if, say, my wife had changed the lamps and I walked in without knowing.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Sameguy, is this what you were going for? The link above seems broken.

Store-lighting-colour-temperature.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.