Common EGC parallel circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill900505

Hi everyone, I am running 3 feeder circuits underground from A to B and using a common EGC in the trench, the 3 circuit conductors will have a transition to a bottom entry equipment using PVC 90 sweeps (one PVC 90 per circuit), my question is how am I supposed to bring the EGC inside the equipment, can I just pull the common EGC into any one of the three conduits (violation of circuit conductors must run with EGC in the same raceway) or I need to make 3 taps off the common EGC into each conduit (each circuit conductors will have a separate EGC running in the same conduit). I am also thinking what if in a different scenario where I need to run 3 parallel conductors (only one circuit) underground and make the transition, how do I bring the common egc into the equipment to comply with 310.H.(3)
Thanks a lot for the help!

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
lIf I understand your description of the installation you will be in violation of 300.3(B). Now, if you are actually paralleling these feeders to make one you will have to have a full size EGC in each raceway.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi everyone, I am running 3 feeder circuits underground from A to B and using a common EGC in the trench, the 3 circuit conductors will have a transition to a bottom entry equipment using PVC 90 sweeps (one PVC 90 per circuit), my question is how am I supposed to bring the EGC inside the equipment, can I just pull the common EGC into any one of the three conduits (violation of circuit conductors must run with EGC in the same raceway) or I need to make 3 taps off the common EGC into each conduit (each circuit conductors will have a separate EGC running in the same conduit). I am also thinking what if in a different scenario where I need to run 3 parallel conductors (only one circuit) underground and make the transition, how do I bring the common egc into the equipment to comply with 310.H.(3)
Thanks a lot for the help!

This is the same as if you had the circuits in a common raceway (the trench) with one EGC and then transitioned to three raceways at the end. Those three raceways would each require an EGC.

hill900505

lIf I understand your description of the installation you will be in violation of 300.3(B). Now, if you are actually paralleling these feeders to make one you will have to have a full size EGC in each raceway.

Roger

Thank you!
If I understand your description of the installation you will be in violation of 300.3(B).
Does it mean a single common EGC can not be pulled into any of the three conduits instead I need to make three taps right before the circuit conductors enter the pvc sweep and pull one tap EGC in each PVC 90? There are already three taps off the common EGC in the trench where the three circuits start, I am just not sure if I have to make another three taps where the circuits end.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thank you!
If I understand your description of the installation you will be in violation of 300.3(B).
Does it mean a single common EGC can not be pulled into any of the three conduits instead I need to make three taps right before the circuit conductors enter the pvc sweep and pull one tap EGC in each PVC 90?
Yes, each raceway will have to have it's own EGC.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.