Common trip required for d/w & disposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwalker

Re: Common trip required for d/w & disposal?

Well in next few weeks i will probably see one of them with no switch.Sink is in island with no place for a switch thats handy.Maybe a voice activated one :D :D :D

electricmanscott

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Well in next few weeks i will probably see one of them with no switch.Sink is in island with no place for a switch thats handy.Maybe a voice activated one :D :D :D
Imagine the horror when the disposal replies "no speaka the english" :D

kiloamp7

Notice the 6.0 Amp GE garbage disposal that jwelectric shows.

It is called a 3/4HP. Obviously another of those fake inflated horsepower ratings you run into nowadays.

Either that, or the amp rating is incorrect.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

It is called a 3/4HP. Obviously another of those fake inflated horsepower ratings you run into nowadays.
Sounds like my 6 HP rated Craftsman compressor. Which runs on 120 volts. It says in BIG letters on the plastic cover 6 HP. After removing the cover I noticed the motor nameplate says:

Horsepower: blank
Voltage:120 vac
RLA:15a

That would make it about a 1 HP according to table 430.248. It should be a crime to inflate the HP numbers to fool the public.

jwelectric

Originally posted by kiloamp7:
Notice the 6.0 Amp GE garbage disposal that jwelectric shows.

Either that, or the amp rating is incorrect.
I was wondering if some one would pick up on that, good eye!
;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by georgestolz:
This begs a question: do I really want to know how you direct-wire a garbage disposal?
I have never used a cord and plug to wire a disposal or dishwasher.
Same here; I've never even seen either come with a cord, but I do see cord kits sold separately.

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Originally posted by roger:

Personally, I say down with receptacles, hardwire everything, and make it mandatory a licensed electrician performs the work. :)
Seconded!

Originally posted by kiloamp7:
Obviously another of those fake inflated horsepower ratings you run into nowadays.
Like my lawn-mower! :roll:

marc deschenes

For what it is worth , the other day I was working in a basement and my arm came in contact with a cord cap that was plugged in feeding a dish washer which was running and the cord was quite warm , almost hot to touch . Just keep in mind the awg on the cords, dishwashers have heating elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.