Con Edison Fault Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Does anyone have a PDF or some type of reference on typical short circuit values for their service? .........

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Length of drop or lateral, size of conductor and type plays into it, the longer the drop, the lower the current. Or are you looking for a starting point? Such as the transformer terminals?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Good info- but nothing I'm seeing on typical service short circuit values.
I am sure that across the ConEd system there are huge variations in the available fault current. On a recent Mike Holt webinar, an engineer that works in the networked areas says that there are locations where it exceeds 200kA and others where it is below 100kA

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I am sure that across the ConEd system there are huge variations in the available fault current. On a recent Mike Holt webinar, an engineer that works in the networked areas says that there are locations where it exceeds 200kA and others where it is below 100kA

No surprise- he is correct. But I'm looking for official documentation. Something that I can site.

Have a link btw to the webinar?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No surprise- he is correct. But I'm looking for official documentation. Something that I can site.

Have a link btw to the webinar?
No, I don't and not 100% sure that it was one of Mike's, it could have been one of Thomas Domitrovich's. They both have youtube channels, but not idea of exactly what one that information was in.
Official documentation has to come from the utility on a case by case basis.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
No, I don't and not 100% sure that it was one of Mike's, it could have been one of Thomas Domitrovich's. They both have youtube channels, but not idea of exactly what one that information was in.
Official documentation has to come from the utility on a case by case basis.

So how do I know what equipment so select? How do I know a service change is up to code?

mivey

Haven't here- but to often I've been told "assume 200,000 amps"
Again, as I have said and some others have said as well, there is no such thing as typical.

Utilities run coordination studies. They know the calculated fault current for existing conditions. They also know the worst case scenarios for an area. You just have to reach the right people.

The calculated values will vary by area and the worst case values will vary by area. Across the board typical does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.