Concealing splice box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

A costumer asked me to splice a junction box to get covered by sheatrock. Is there anything now made for this ?
If not I'm having an issue locateing the code requirement for not burying the box in the wall.

Please direct Thank you.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
A costumer asked me to splice a junction box to get covered by sheatrock. Is there anything now made for this ?
If not I'm having an issue locateing the code requirement for not burying the box in the wall.

Please direct Thank you.

314.29 requires the box to be accessible.

Also look at 334.40(B)

ritelec

Thank you.. That helps. I thought I remembered something about splicing also ???

the box also contains and outlet... smh...

do I walk in there and splice through this receptacle in HIS house for a lousy buck or tell him I can't.............. smh

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

ritelec

Thank you, that's good to know. he texted two outlets.. ?? are they required receptacle,lighting... are they feeding through elsewhere not just in and out..
Good to know these Tyco plugs exist... wonder if they have some type of full product line instead of just in and out??

Strathead

Occupation
Thank you, that's good to know. he texted two outlets.. ?? are they required receptacle,lighting... are they feeding through elsewhere not just in and out..
Good to know these Tyco plugs exist... wonder if they have some type of full product line instead of just in and out??

I don't think so. The code section allows a splice, not sure it allows a tap.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can the two cables and the box be replaced with two new boxes connected by an unbroken cable, or otherwise reroute the cable pathway?

JFletcher

Because those Tyco or TE Connectivity splices are possibly the only thing that are hated by more electricians than arc fault breakers.

Nevertheless, they are listed and designed to be used without a box. I imagine the stories about seeing them only burnt up are probably because they are a pain in the ass to use and were probably never properly terminated in the first place.

the homeowner can't live with a visible blank plate or two over a junction box that is accessible?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Because those Tyco or TE Connectivity splices are possibly the only thing that are hated by more electricians than arc fault breakers.
I must be the exception. :cool:

I imagine the stories about seeing them only burnt up are probably because they are a pain in the ass to use and were probably never properly terminated in the first place.
Maybe I know how to use them. :huh:

the homeowner can't live with a visible blank plate or two over a junction box that is accessible?
As I said earlier, maybe one or two can be hidden better. Thought: what's on the other side of the wall?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Nevertheless, they are listed and designed to be used without a box. I imagine the stories about seeing them only burnt up are probably because they are a pain in the ass to use and were probably never properly terminated in the first place.

good point

however I don't even like having to take down paddle fan to find bad splice, so I definitely don't want to have to open up walls

kwired

Electron manager
Can the two cables and the box be replaced with two new boxes connected by an unbroken cable, or otherwise reroute the cable pathway?
Pretty much my thoughts. Why not install unbroken run in the area in question and make the splice accessible in a crawlspace or in a closet, utility room, etc.? In a kitchen maybe make a splice accessible inside a cabinet, behind the range or refrigerator, on top of cabinets yet out of sight. Install a larger box if necessary and splice in same box with non associated switch, receptacles, lighting boxes, etc. that are going to remain in place.

JFletcher

Something I missed in the original post... If this is going to be (or the homeowner wants it to be) covered by sheetrock, then I am to presume that the walls are already open, or could be opened up as another layer is going on top of the existing, thus your cutting into the wall would not be a problem, correct?

If either is the case, I would repull the damaged cable from point to point. While I am okay with those in wall splices, I absolutely would not put one in a place where the wall is covered up by something like a kitchen backsplash, shower tile, wood paneling or wainscoting, or in a place where is blocked by something like countertops.

If it fails in a place like those, it is going to be a serious problem down the road to fix.

While not a code requirement at all, I would also at the very least include a note in the panel or on the panel schedule regarding the location of said in-wall splice.

Regarding the customer, you can handle his request in a few ways, the only of which that is completely unacceptable in my opinion is to commit a code violation. That it is against code save for the non-metallic interconnector devices should be sufficient. On a practical note, if that splice fails it's going to cost three to five times as much money to find and repair as if the box was accessible.

to repeat what Larry asked, what is on the other side of the wall, and where exactly is this proposed splice going to be made?

Last edited:

ritelec

Thak you for the replies. I'm going tomorrow to check it out. The walls are finished. He's adding book shelves or this of that. I don't know what he's doing ??? But besides concealed splice it also may be removing receptacles where required for wall space. He says the receptacles aren't required by code ???? Oh. Ok.
I'll see tomorrow. Thanks again.

Strathead

Occupation
Thak you for the replies. I'm going tomorrow to check it out. The walls are finished. He's adding book shelves or this of that. I don't know what he's doing ??? But besides concealed splice it also may be removing receptacles where required for wall space. He says the receptacles aren't required by code ???? Oh. Ok.
I'll see tomorrow. Thanks again.

That is a tough call. It the bookshelves are being installed where later removal would destroy building finishes then receptacles would not be required and the wall space wouldn't require receptacles. If they are merely screwed to the wall, then the junction box is legal, but receptacles would still be needed, I think. there is a change in 2017 code that I don't have time to look up right now that addresses this if I remember a code change review I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.