Concealing splice box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
I found the code reference:

210.52A(2) Wall space: (1) Any space....unbroken ... by ......and fixed cabinets that do not have countertops or similar work surfaces.

So, A built in bookcase does NOT need receptacles along the floor, or inside the shelf area.

Interesting. I had not noticed this before, or maybe is not addressed in earlier codes (I do not have a copy of earlier codes right now).

In my house the bookcases (loose, not built in, just grouped together) are placed on one wall and block the receptacles. What books need to be plugged in?:? I have lots of other receptacles, no where did I go 12 feet between them!

ritelec

Thanks for finding that,

2014 says "and fixed cabinets".

Interesting, Recently there was a stairway to an open second floor with a railing around that needed to be treated as wall space so I installed two floor receptacles.
"IF" the home owner installed some cabinets instead of railings no receptacles would have been needed..??

"IF" a habitable room.... from the entering door ALL THE WAY around the room had fixed cabinets installed, not one receptacle would be required?

Interesting stuff.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for finding that,

2014 says "and fixed cabinets".

Interesting, Recently there was a stairway to an open second floor with a railing around that needed to be treated as wall space so I installed two floor receptacles.
"IF" the home owner installed some cabinets instead of railings no receptacles would have been needed..??

"IF" a habitable room.... from the entering door ALL THE WAY around the room had fixed cabinets installed, not one receptacle would be required?

Interesting stuff.
Correct on your "if's".

Though if you had a room with fixed cabinets all the way around the room it might not really be a habitable room either.

Nothing prohibits receptacles within the cabinets or bookshelves either. You may have specific equipment to plug in on a shelf at times, but receptacle placement for such items is not a 210.52 matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.