Condensate pump for furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
So, I looked up the Little Giant manufacturer's instructions to see what they have to say.

Interesting that they call for a dedicated GFI protected circuit.

-Hal
Wow, I might be remembering wrong, but I think those pumps are a fraction of an amp. We had a 20A 240V circuit that ran the blower motor, a 240V :24VAC control xformer, and a single 240V receptacle for the little pump.

retirede

Wow, I might be remembering wrong, but I think those pumps are a fraction of an amp. We had a 20A 240V circuit that ran the blower motor, a 240V :24VAC control xformer, and a single 240V receptacle for the little pump.

It’s almost like the electrical device manufacturers are paying equipment manufacturers to specify dedicated circuits in order to move more product.

kwired

Electron manager
It’s almost like the electrical device manufacturers are paying equipment manufacturers to specify dedicated circuits in order to move more product.
Won't hurt anything to have other loads on same circuit, they just want to promote more reliability by not having other loads possibly taking the circuit down is my guess. I personally have no issue with it being on same circuit as the furnace (if the OCPD doesn't cause other code violations like it might on circuit over 20 amps). If the circuit goes down so does the furnace and no more condensate will be produced to have to pump away.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Won't hurt anything to have other loads on same circuit, they just want to promote more reliability by not having other loads possibly taking the circuit down is my guess. I personally have no issue with it being on same circuit as the furnace (if the OCPD doesn't cause other code violations like it might on circuit over 20 amps). If the circuit goes down so does the furnace and no more condensate will be produced to have to pump away.

That's my thinking.

And does the Code require a GFCI for this?

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.