Conductor Ampacities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
not mine
not that I seek chat room credibility lol

it's going to be a real problem since MV-90 cable is being phased out and MV-105 is already in widespread use and is being designed at rated capacity lol
in fact all MV-105 cable I've seen was actually TERMINATED and had power flowing thru it

bus bar...in ambient 40C what is the allowable temp rise? and what is the sum of amb + rise?
Systems being designed at MV-105 capacity is not an attesting of compliance. It can just as easily be the opposite.

As to ambient + rise, you're the one making the 105°C-rated terminations permitted claim without substantiation, so you tell us...

Ingenieur

Systems being designed at MV-105 capacity is not an attesting of compliance. It can just as easily be the opposite.

As to ambient + rise, you're the one making the 105°C-rated terminations permitted claim without substantiation, so you tell us...

Looked at a mv system today
all 105 cables used at rated ampacity
Nexus rep was there, mv 90 cables will be gone in 3 years or so
they were all terminated
go figure
inspected by local, 3rd party and state agencies
compliant and placed in service
Hmmmmm

Ingenieur

Some do. For some, it hurts when their handle gets bullied.:lol:

Can you imagine people actually having emotional involvement?
weird

this has so little to do with 'real life' that it is unfathomable

bigger issues
last night during my power sys II final I get a text that my wife was at e room with a possible heart attack
kept her overnight, just sprung her
she's fit as a fiddle
stress test bp/rate was 130/80 and took 9 minutes to 165 pulse
stress related, especially crazy tax season, coupled with her ms took a toll
she's got to learn to say f&$k it when approriate
which is most of the time lol

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Looked at a mv system today
all 105 cables used at rated ampacity
Nexus rep was there, mv 90 cables will be gone in 3 years or so
they were all terminated
go figure
inspected by local, 3rd party and state agencies
compliant and placed in service
Hmmmmm
Still questionable. In the MV portion of the industry, many go about design and implementation without full regard to NEC compliance. They think MV is no different than utility work.

The NEC places an MV 90°C-rated termination temperature limit unless otherwise identified (UOI). All you have to do is show us the UOI. Mere speculation doesn't count one iota towards that end.

Ingenieur

Still questionable. In the MV portion of the industry, many go about design and implementation without full regard to NEC compliance. They think MV is no different than utility work.

The NEC places an MV 90°C-rated termination temperature limit unless otherwise identified (UOI). All you have to do is show us the UOI. Mere speculation doesn't count one iota towards that end.

Good thing you have no authorative say in the matter

no they don't, they allow 105 cable and teminations
it's reality, it's being done every day around the world

but I get it
they are all wrong and you are correct
gotcha

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Good thing you have no authorative say in the matter

no they don't, they allow 105 cable and teminations
it's reality, it's being done every day around the world

but I get it
they are all wrong and you are correct
gotcha
I'm not saying they or you for that matter are wrong. All I'm saying is you are not showing anything to substantiate your claim that it is compliant... and that is all I am asking for.

FWIW, there is no change to the wording of 110.40 on the table for 2017 NEC approval.

Ingenieur

I'm not saying they or you for that matter are wrong. All I'm saying is you are not showing anything to substantiate your claim that it is compliant... and that is all I am asking for.

FWIW, there is no change to the wording of 110.40 on the table for 2017 NEC approval.

The reality proves it
all mfgs make 105 cables
all are ul and nec compliant
the nec allows use at rated ampacity and above (up-rated based on ambient)
they are all terminated

there is no need for change
'shall be permitted' NOT 'shall be'
and 'unless otherwise identified'

your interpretation is the ampacity of the 105 is limited to that of the 90
then why don't they say that?
why show the 105's higher ampacity if it is limited to the 90's by the termination?
why even make 105 cables if the ampacity is limited to 90, ie, can't be utilized?
because that is not the case

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The reality proves it
all mfgs make 105 cables
all are ul and nec compliant
the nec allows use at rated ampacity and above (up-rated based on ambient)
they are all terminated

there is no need for change
'shall be permitted' NOT 'shall be'
and 'unless otherwise identified'

your interpretation is the ampacity of the 105 is limited to that of the 90
then why don't they say that?
why show the 105's higher ampacity if it is limited to the 90's by the termination?
why even make 105 cables if the ampacity is limited to 90, ie, can't be utilized?
because that is not the case
It seems you are not differentiating between conductor ampacity, to which adjustment and correction factors apply, and minimum conductor size due to termination temperature limitations of 110.40, which is based on the 90°C ampacity rating of the conductor.

Ingenieur

It seems you are not differentiating between conductor ampacity, to which adjustment and correction factors apply, and minimum conductor size due to termination temperature limitations of 110.40, which is based on the 90°C ampacity rating of the conductor.

it is you who mistakingly thinks 110.40 limits ampacity
The conductor is not rated 90, but 105

meaning that at rated ampacity it runs 105
and does not have to be derated or limited to the equivilent 90
if so why make it?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So why does it use the "shall be permitted" language if that is mandatory?
I just realized that 110.14(C) is a general requirement for all voltages, not just 0-600V. So 110.40 uses the "shall be permitted" language for 90C termination ampacities to provide relief from the base temperature for terminations ampacities of 60C or 75C specified in 110.14(C).

Are these 105C MV equipment terminations not "listed and identified" for 105C? If they are, then 110.14(C) permits using 105C ampacities for the termination. So what are you guys arguing about?

Cheers, Wayne

Ingenieur

iirc 110.40 is for > 600

There are a couple questions

is it code compliant to terminate a 105 cable with a 90 termination?
the cable is operated per nec at 80% of its rating (cable ampacity = 1.25 x load)
yes

are there terminations rated 105?
yes

will the cable when run at 80% reach 105
no
probably not even 90

I see this as a spirited discussion with big egos involved lol

Smart $

Esteemed Member
are there terminations rated 105?
yes
The part you are missing is what the equipment itself is rated. In LV equipment, you can find terminals rated 90°C, but the equipment as a whole unit is only listed for 75°C operation. Thus, the minimum conductor size is based on the conductor ampacity equivalent at 75°C, even when using e.g. 90°C-rated wire.

The same concept applies to over 600/1000V equipment, but the minimum conductor size is based on the 90°C ampacity equivalent in the appropriate Table... UOI equipment is used.

Ingenieur

The part you are missing is what the equipment itself is rated. In LV equipment, you can find terminals rated 90°C, but the equipment as a whole unit is only listed for 75°C operation. Thus, the minimum conductor size is based on the conductor ampacity equivalent at 75°C, even when using e.g. 90°C-rated wire.

The same concept applies to over 600/1000V equipment, but the minimum conductor size is based on the 90°C ampacity equivalent in the appropriate Table... UOI equipment is used.

Not sure if I am the one who missed it lol
The mv SW without question is rated for use with 105 cable
105 cable does not de-rated to use it

Ingenieur

>600 v feeder
if only xfmrs sum of rated i
very seldom loaded to 100%

xfmr + util equip
xfmr i sum + 125% balance
if no xfmr 125% of load

If supervised location under engineering supervision
most cases I would guess