Conduit fill - Three #8awg plus one #10awg in 1/2 EMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

Maybe under a slab or something?
I realized that was a possibility, but the OP never mentioned it. Often times, it's just a desire to not have to dig. Let's wait to hear from the OP about the actual circumstances he's dealing with.

That said, there are ways to pull a new conduit under a slab. Of course, if the conduit is embedded in the slab, the job becomes much more challenging and expensive.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If we think about it, and if direct-buriable conductors are used, in a few years, when the EMT disintegrates, it will be compliant.

The important thing is to not depend on the EMT as physical protection or as an EGC.

Jon456

If we think about it, and if direct-buriable conductors are used, in a few years, when the EMT disintegrates, it will be compliant.
But only if the depth of the EMT meets the NEC standards for direct-burial cable. And I doubt there's any 50A-rated direct burial cable that's capable of being pulled through 1/2" EMT.

Last edited:
Occupation
Builder
Besides all the time and ugh work of digging, it would totally disrupt a nice established garden, and it goes under a concrete walkway. This little project is getting out of hand as it is :)

Jon456

Besides all the time and ugh work of digging, it would totally disrupt a nice established garden, and it goes under a concrete walkway. This little project is getting out of hand as it is :)
Neither are serious obstacles. Is this for your own installation or for a client? I've seen underground conductors that literally exploded due to the insulation being damaged while being pulled into conduit. And if you pull a bare EGC in that underground EMT, it will eventually disintegrate and then you lose your bonding from the subpanel back to the service.

Last edited:

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Take a look at table 250.122

good one, well being that the cut off point of the # 12 is 20A and then it jumps to a #10 for 60A , I suppose it depends on the inspector really, what is the approved ground size for a 40 - 50 Amp .. 40 is right in the middle so maybe a #11 ? .. point being yes, it is always better to have a fatter ground but this existing condition could sure use a little more room in the conduit.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
good one, well being that the cut off point of the # 12 is 20A and then it jumps to a #10 for 60A , I suppose it depends on the inspector really, what is the approved ground size for a 40 - 50 Amp .. 40 is right in the middle so maybe a #11 ? .. point being yes, it is always better to have a fatter ground but this existing condition could sure use a little more room in the conduit.
You do not get to extrapolate the wire type EGC size. It has to be the minimum size the table says. So anything more than 20 A up to 60 A has to be at least a #10 copper.

Nuber

State Certified Practitioner of Electrical Arts
Occupation
Master Electrician
Any reason why you can't use the EMT as the EGC? One less wire to pull...

250.118(4)

Nuber

State Certified Practitioner of Electrical Arts
Occupation
Master Electrician
Long-term performance of steel underground?

Plus, the fill-percentage problem has been solved. (either by using a bare EGC, or by cheating and declaring it "close enough" for the existing circumstances)

I am normally not a fan of relying on conduit as the EGC but it is code compliant. It does get around the concerns over a tight pull damaging conductors.

Just an option; do as you will.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I was a helper, our company got the job of replacing the EMT that was used to supply every A/C compressor unit at an apartment complex. Every inch of EMT that was buried was completely disintegrated.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
So anything more than 20 A up to 60 A has to be at
How do we know that #12 actually stops at 20A when there is no size mentioned for #8, maybe #8 is up to the installer they can go with #12 or # 10 .. its a freebie. Now #6 better be a #10 because it is written as such. Just messing with ya, although I think its a grey area of choice because its left out.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
How do we know that #12 actually stops at 20A when there is no size mentioned for #8, maybe #8 is up to the installer they can go with #12 or # 10 .. its a freebie. Now #6 better be a #10 because it is written as such. Just messing with ya, although I think its a grey area of choice because its left out.
Read what the code says about the table. It is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.