Conduit on fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I'd be more inclined to simply attach it between the wall and fence on strut if not a dirt base or mount it to the wall on vertical struts.
The fence to me is not the best method because now the work is reliant upon the fencings support or life expectancy.

Screenshot_20220913-210711_Chrome.jpg

jap

Occupation
Electrician
For me, it would depend.

If the fence was around the perimeter of a used car lot, I would have no problem.

But if it was around a school playground, no way.

I didn't mean to 'like" that but didn't know how to delete it.

What difference does it make what the fence is built around?

Jap>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'd be more inclined to simply attach it between the wall and fence on strut if not a dirt base or mount it to the wall on vertical struts.
The fence to me is not the best method because now the work is reliant upon the fencings support or life expectancyg

I may be wrong, but, I think the picture is simply an example.

Not the actual fence in question.

Jap<

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I didn't mean to 'like" that but didn't know how to delete it.

What difference does it make what the fence is built around?

Jap>
If it's on a car lot fence, I would bet that the likelihood of someone climbing on it would be slim to none.

And I would also bet good money that if it's on a schoolyard fence, there's a 100% likelihood that daily you'd find multiple kids bouncing up and down on it with their fingers clinched through the fencing

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If it's on a car lot fence, I would bet that the likelihood of someone climbing on it would be slim to none.

And I would also bet good money that if it's on a schoolyard fence, there's a 100% likelihood that daily you'd find multiple kids bouncing up and down on it with their fingers clinched through the fencing

I see now,, I thought you'd install it on the car lot fence and leave it unbounded in case a burglar decided to use it as a foothold to jump the fence and steal a car.... :)

Who knew a post about running pipe on a fence could bring out so many excellent ideas...

Jap>

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I beg to differ.

Your response was in reference to the example mtnelec posted, which was an example of improper wiring causing neutral current to flow on normally non current carrying parts of an electrical system from the neutral conductor being attached to the metal pole.

That's different than a fault.

No amount of grounding or bonding would clear that neutral return current flow beacause its not a short, it's simply a parallel return path.

Nothing short of a GFI protected circuit to the pole light that is.

If we wanted to exaggerate the issue of a fence becoming energized due to an actual fault, without proper bonding and grounding throughout the system,we could " electrify" a metal building of any size and never clear the fault.

Jap>
You are correct. I thought the graphic showed a ground fault with no EGC. I should have paid more attention to the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.