Conduit support with boxes on every purlin

storeytime

I know that NEC 358.30, Exception 1 allows for supporting conduit at 5' from box that is mounted on a purling and the next purlin is within that 5' distance.
I have a situation where there is a box on every purlin with conduit in between. Total of 12 boxes, each mounted on purlin with conduit between each box. Do I have to use one of those Caddy fasteners like in the picture? Are there any other methods besides this?

Attachments

• Caddy 812MB18A.jpeg
    Caddy 812MB18A.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 34

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have used those Caddy bars. Honestly if the box is screwed to the purlin those bars are pretty useless. They do satisfy the code requirement so that's why we use them.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I call them cheater bars.
I dislike them.
We do a S
12" Inch 90 back to back then run the next the other way. Boxes line up. Minies or one holes. Depending on your liking.
It does use more pipe versus cheater bars with 5' center to center purlins. One may out way the cost of the other.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We do a S
12" Inch 90 back to back then run the next the other way. Boxes line up. Minies or one holes. Depending on your liking.
How do you support the raceway with the 90's? Seems like a lot of extra labor to save buying a cheap Caddy bar.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Keep in mind this is how it was done prior to cheater bars.
Rough sketch.
Pipe and wire used to be cheap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501-185835.png
    Screenshot_20230501-185835.png
    312.6 KB · Views: 51

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Keep in mind this is how it was done prior to cheater bars.
Rough sketch.
Pipe and wire used to be cheap.
Ahh got it. For some reason I thought that the elbows went in and out of the back of the boxes. Like I said prior these Caddy bars don't do much but they do help to streaming the installation and also in pulling in the wire.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Running shallow strut the full length across the purlins seems like a huge overkill.

I'd find a different way to run my pipe if that was what I had to resort to.

JAP>

storeytime

Running shallow strut the full length across the purlins seems like a huge overkill.

I'd find a different way to run my pipe if that was what I had to resort to.

JAP>
We can't trapeze because it would block the lighting, so we have no choice but to run the conduit across the purlins. 4 rows, 60' long each, box with receptacle on each purlin. 12 in each run. I looked into the unistrut versus Caddy hangers. It would make about a + $500 difference to run the strut, and that's not counting the spring nuts, bolts, washers, etc.
Well, it just shows that code required supporting is often times unnecessary.
Exactly!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I know that NEC 358.30, Exception 1 allows for supporting conduit at 5' from box that is mounted on a purling and the next purlin is within that 5' distance.
I have a situation where there is a box on every purlin with conduit in between. Total of 12 boxes, each mounted on purlin with conduit between each box. Do I have to use one of those Caddy fasteners like in the picture? Are there any other methods besides this?

I haven't looked it up but Is the conduit not considered supported by the connector in the box?

JAP>