conduits are very hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

So you guys are saying that balanced loads or Net Zero loads will not create any heating of conductors.

That using too small a conductor , too many conductors in a conduit, or the ballasts of these grow light privide no contribution to heating of the conduit.

Nope, what I am saying is that I don't understand how you don't end up with a net 0 magnetic field if the conductors in the conduit end up with a net 0 current. In particular when you wrap a clamp meter or window CT around all the wires and read 0 amps, that tells me that the magnetic field is 0.

Thermally, it is entirely different, the watt losses in each conductor sum no matter the vector direction.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Nope, what I am saying is that I don't understand how you don't end up with a net 0 magnetic field if the conductors in the conduit end up with a net 0 current. In particular when you wrap a clamp meter or window CT around all the wires and read 0 amps, that tells me that the magnetic field is 0.

Thermally, it is entirely different, the watt losses in each conductor sum no matter the vector direction.

ok I guess I got it now.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
To small and or to many.:thumbsup:
Amongst other things.
120v devices on 240v.....
I have seen these grow lights and the associated wiring what a mess. What I think is many of these pot growers are reading the same "How to Book"
Those grow lights come with a 120v straight blade cord cap. They have a switch for 120 or 240v . The cheap farmers run 2 wire rope and use regular 120v outlets. Not to mention 4 240 circuits in a quad box. Yes 2 240v cirucuits per duplex. No handle ties. No nothing. Have seen them ungrounded too.

These idiot even plug in a PC or a TV into these and say " they work no problem" That is because many new electronic power supplies run 90v to 240v.

Plug in a 120v lamp and it goes poof!!!!
GEEE I wonder why?

kwired

Electron manager
Amongst other things.
120v devices on 240v.....
I have seen these grow lights and the associated wiring what a mess. What I think is many of these pot growers are reading the same "How to Book"
Those grow lights come with a 120v straight blade cord cap. They have a switch for 120 or 240v . The cheap farmers run 2 wire rope and use regular 120v outlets. Not to mention 4 240 circuits in a quad box. Yes 2 240v cirucuits per duplex. No handle ties. No nothing. Have seen them ungrounded too.

These idiot even plug in a PC or a TV into these and say " they work no problem" That is because many new electronic power supplies run 90v to 240v.

Plug in a 120v lamp and it goes poof!!!!
GEEE I wonder why?
Though not a great idea, one should be able to put two identical 120 volt wired luminaires in series with no connection to the supply neutral and they should work just fine, at least until one of them has a lamp failure, then no promises how the voltage balance will work out, as impedance of each will be different once one has lost a lamp.

mivey

Though not a great idea, one should be able to put two identical 120 volt wired luminaires in series with no connection to the supply neutral and they should work just fine, at least until one of them has a lamp failure, then no promises how the voltage balance will work out, as impedance of each will be different once one has lost a lamp.
We will have 240 volts across the burned out lamp (infinite resistance, relatively speaking).

Status
Not open for further replies.