Contactor in a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently found a 3-pole contactor in a panelboard that controlled the o/s lights. The panel was a late model which had a lot of room in it and the breakers in the panel protected the circuits for the contactor, legal?

iwire

Staff member
I recently found a 3-pole contactor in a panelboard that controlled the o/s lights. The panel was a late model which had a lot of room in it and the breakers in the panel protected the circuits for the contactor, legal?

It is almost imposable to put a contractor in a panelboard

Panelboard. A single panel or group of panel units designed
for assembly in the form of a single panel, including
buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped
with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or
power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout
box
placed in or against a wall, partition, or other support;
and accessible only from the front.

You can easily and legally put one in a cabinet

Cabinet. An enclosure that is designed for either surface
mounting or flush mounting and is provided with a frame,
mat, or trim in which a swinging door or doors are or can
be hung.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I guess it depends on what type of setup we're looking at. Regarding the OP, since the contactor is connected to the bus in the panelboard and functions as a section of the panelboard IMO it's part of the panelboard not the cabinet. :)

iwire

Staff member
I guess it depends on what type of setup we're looking at. Regarding the OP, since the contactor is connected to the bus in the panelboard and functions as a section of the panelboard IMO it's part of the panelboard not the cabinet. :)

I agree if the factory shipped the contactor as part of the panelbaord it is all one panelboard.

However, for you or I or the OP it is almost imposable to install a contactor in a panelboard, about the only way I can think of is some sort of factory authorized kit made for field installation.

templdl

I sold panels with slit bus where ther was commonly a main breaker feeding one bus which fed the contactor which controlled the second bus.

kwired

Electron manager

Panelboard. A single panel or group of panel units designed
for assembly in the form of a single panel, including
buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped
with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or
power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout
box
placed in or against a wall, partition, or other support;
and accessible only from the front.

First thing are you talking about putting a contactor or a contractor in a panelboard:)

Second in that definition it means the panelboard is designed to place in a cabinet or cutout box and has nothing to do with other equipment that may be in same cabinet or cutout box.

It was an add on, not the split bus and the like. Not part of the original equipment, just a 120v coil magnetically held contactor that measures 4"sq at best. Its in the cabinet with the panelboard. Didn't think to ask the customer where the cabinets were, out of fear they might take me to the breakroom.:roll:

iwire

Staff member
Second in that definition it means the panelboard is designed to place in a cabinet or cutout box and has nothing to do with other equipment that may be in same cabinet or cutout box.

First off I can't spell well, thank you for taking the time to bust my balls about it, very helpful. :roll:

Second I have no idea the point you are trying to make about the panelboard definition.

I was pointing out that a panelboard doesn't include an enclosure.

kwired

Electron manager
First off I can't spell well, thank you for taking the time to bust my balls about it, very helpful. :roll:

I'm here if you need me, you don't even have to ask.;)

Second I have no idea the point you are trying to make about the panelboard definition.

I was pointing out that a panelboard doesn't include an enclosure.

I was pretty sure you probably knew that. Somehow your post didn't seem that clear - and maybe more so to someone that did not know that. Sorry if I seemed condescending - that was not the intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.