required spaces for safety switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUSTEINEE

I am a little confused and when this happens I usually confuse others along the way. So I appoligize ahead of time for any idiotic statements. Im not looking at any complicated circumstances so don't overthink it I am newb and don't know any better.

What kind of space do I need around a safety switch?

110.26 requires working space for equipment likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance.

Does a safety switch fit this criteria? Without definitions for what this terms are meant to encompass I can come up arguments each way, but i tend to think that it does not meet the intended purpose of this section.

404.8 gives a height requirement with exceptions for switches but it only says that switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place.

Could i put a switch on the floor and make someone crawl to get to it? It can be reached quickly without having to climb over or remove obstacles.

So if I use exception #2 and place the switch over 6'-7" in the air the only requirement is to be accessible by portable means. There doesn't need to be clearance above below or to the sides of the device only room to operate the device. Is this correct?

I am just so confused. Can someone point me to the light?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Most inspectors feel safety switches are subject to be examined while energized.
(If you were trouble-shooting would you not normally want to check voltage at the switch).
The requirements of 110.26 plus 404.8 apply.

cadpoint

Switches have a near whole column in the index, saftey switch is no listed in the index, but not part of the Code this brings up thoughts of 90.7, since you want to imply safety, :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Switches have a near whole column in the index, saftey switch is no listed in the index, but not part of the Code this brings up thoughts of 90.7, since you want to imply safety, :)

does that mean, in your opinion, 110.26 does not apply technically ?

raider1

Staff member
Most inspectors feel safety switches are subject to be examined while energized.
(If you were trouble-shooting would you not normally want to check voltage at the switch).
The requirements of 110.26 plus 404.8 apply.

I agree with Gus.

Chris

cadpoint

Imo

Imo

does that mean, in your opinion, 110.26 does not apply technically ?

No, not at all; all the appliable Code(S) should apply and always in play!

Calling it the right thing as I have learned through the years is a bigger problem, in the electrical trade. The lack of information and the correct understanding or presentation or any given subject matter (or term), even understanding of a term, to get to its core or even a core definination seems totally lost at time, here and in society.

If you want to be so subjective that I don't understand the complex nature of a subject and I negated to state that everything stated so far is correct so far; and that any statement, "oh yeah by the way" can't be made... then say I've said it, other wise I don't get the jest...

Having said all that; here is is two links to two major manufactures and using their seach engines of "safety switches" revieves these linkes.

Safety Switches

Safety Switches

The first one has safety switches as an term, the second does not.

JUSTEINEE

In summary

In summary

So it looks so far that everyone thinks 110.26 applies.

So I would need 30" or the width of the equipment for working space.
In my area I need 3'-6" depth of working space.
It requires no headroom or dedicated equipment space because it is not a switchboard, panelboard or motor control center.
There only needs to be sufficent area to give access to and egrees from working space(Very Vague).

Is this all Correct?

JUSTEINEE

Look at the code

Look at the code

It requires no headroom or dedicated equipment space because it is not a switchboard, panelboard or motor control center.
Headroom is required, it is not limited to switchboard, panelboard or motor control centers.

Headroom is very specific.

"The minimum headroom of working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers shall be 2.0 m (6 1/2 ft). Where the electrical equipment exceeds 2.0 m (6 1/2 ft) in height, the minimum headroom shall not be less than the height of the equipment"

A safety switch does not fall under any of these very specific cases. It kind of blew my mind but no headroom is required for transformer, stand alone switches or motor controllers, control cabinets etc.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As I've experienced it with various AHJs, it's a little nebulous. I've had some insist on what's called "the 6'6" rule" which as I understand it only applies to switchgear and motor control centers. It states that no operating handle for a disconnect device shall have it's top most operating handle located more than 6"6" above the floor, ostensibly to facilitate a 5"6" person with a reach that goes 12" over their head. I'm not so sure that technically applies to stand-alone safety switches, but as most of us know, it's pointless to argue with AHJs over little things. But I've had other installations, such as trapeze mounted transformers for example, where the safety switch was required to be right next to the transformer, clearly in violation of any 6'6" rule. Bus Ducts in the ceiling will have their plugs stabbed right into them, and those handles are usually over 6"6", but I've never had that challenged. I also had one reject a switch placement that was too low stating that it was in an area that could get wet (it was in a machine shop, if it got wet this was the LEAST of their problems). Again easier to move it than to argue.

S'mise

As I've experienced it with various AHJs, it's a little nebulous. I've had some insist on what's called "the 6'6" rule" which as I understand it only appl........................... I've had other installations, such as trapeze mounted transformers for example, where the safety switch was required to be right next to the transformer, clearly in violation of any 6'6" rule. Bus Ducts in the ceiling will have their plugs stabbed right into them, and those handles are usually over 6"6", but I've never had that challenged..

404.8(a) ex 2

cadpoint

I guess I'm to much of an argument. I've seen and installed both disconnects and VFD's/Rated disconnects way above a drop ceiling... ;)

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Look at the Whole code

Look at the Whole code

110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.
Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical
equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.

(3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor,
or platform to the height required by 110.26(E). Within the height requirements of this section,
other equipment that is associated with the electrical installation and is located above or below
the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend not more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond the
front of the electrical equipment.

It is not limited to service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers.

It says all electricalequipment

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.
Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical
equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.

(3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor,
or platform to the height required by 110.26(E). Within the height requirements of this section,
other equipment that is associated with the electrical installation and is located above or below
the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend not more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond the
front of the electrical equipment.

It is not limited to service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers.

It says all electricalequipment

What do I do about the switch for a disconnect that is in my crawl space above my furnace, or the one in the closet for the water heater. Oh dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.