Control Cabinet Relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrpw

I work in a veneer mill and management wants to and a line next to one of our dryers. In order to do this the control panel for the dryer would have to be moved, a new feed run and several motors would require wire re-run. This cabinet is 20 + years old, all the starters and control relays are in one cabinet with no separators, exposed bus bars and two of the three doors can be opened while the system is energized. My question is: Is this considered new construction and if so would this panel need to be replaced. I've been having trouble finding a good reference in the NEC. Any help would be appreciated.

mcclary's electrical

I work in a veneer mill and management wants to and a line next to one of our dryers. In order to do this the control panel for the dryer would have to be moved, a new feed run and several motors would require wire re-run. This cabinet is 20 + years old, all the starters and control relays are in one cabinet with no separators, exposed bus bars and two of the three doors can be opened while the system is energized. My question is: Is this considered new construction and if so would this panel need to be replaced. I've been having trouble finding a good reference in the NEC. Any help would be appreciated.

I think it would be considered new construction, but most production plants move things like that around in their plant without permits. In other words, if you're the employee, and they ask you to do it, I would.

If you're a contractor, and find you have to pull permits, then it would be considered new work. Even if it's new work, exposed bus bars, and non seperated motor starters are not illegal. You could have the door latch fixed, and move your panel. But if the company's got any money to spare, I would definately push to let you build a new panel completely, in your spare time in the shop, and swap them out in one day.

pfalcon

Typically for an industrial site: Relocating enclosures does not constitute new construction. Stretching wires for relocation is not normally considered new construction. Instead the rewiring is considered incidental to the relocation.

Your new wires must be to current code. No alteration should be expected to the enclosure, motors, or other components. The wires should be terminating on the same lugs/terminals as the original wires.

Above the disconnect it is typical to bring everything current such as discarding the old buss head connection for new.

Look at the enclosure like an appliance. If you moved your stove across the room, you update the wiring to supply the new location but you don't break open the stove electronics.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This cabinet is 20 + years old, all the starters and control relays are in one cabinet with no separators,.
What is it you think needs to be separated?

exposed bus bars
This should be an easy fix. Heat shrink tubing or a Plexiglas shield are quick, effective, and inexpensive fixes if you think this is really a problem.

and two of the three doors can be opened while the system is energized.
Another easy fix. It's not real hard to add either an electrical or a mechanical interlock, or to fix the existing one if present.

If these are the worst of your problems with this panel, I'd say spend 3 or 4 hours making the fixes and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.